No announcement yet.

Are 6L6's that much clearer than 6V6's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 6L6's that much clearer than 6V6's?

I A/B'ed my 63 bandmaster vs my DRRI through the same speaker (C12k jensen) and these were the results-

DRRI-Smooth, but slightly muffled with a semi farty bass at volumes above 5, and percussive/punchy highs. Works very well with my spina TS9, but the cleans leave a bit to be desired when playing louder. Good amp, but could use a better speaker.

63 Bandmaster-No reverb. I ran it through the vibrato channel. Bright switch on. The amp is very clear and pleasing to play through. Playing 'strummed' solos is a dream, as the notes wail out clearly but with 'smooth' bit of hair on it. Chords are very defined and sweet, and the volume at 3 is just as loud as the deluxe's 5, minus the light fart and plus nicer cleans.

Is this a 6V6 vs. 6L6 issue, or is it simply because they don't make them like they used to. I hear about deluxe reverbs being well reknown for an awesome clean tone and chime, but it doesn't compare much to a 6l6 counterpart when it comes to cleans at all, especially a non reverb fender like a bandmaster. Do EH 6v6's just suck and muffle out the sound?

Would 6L6's fill out the missing frequencies and make the amp sound full and sweet, vs. farty, muffled and punchy? Do you need to make any modifications to put 6L6's besides biasing?

I'm running a SS rectifier, and i rigged a computer fan to the back of the amp to blow at the Power tranny so it stays cool, so do you think that it could handle 6L6's? If the 6L6's yield more efficiency and headroom, then i'd end up playing the amp at 3-4 on the volume dial most of the time instead of 5-6 like im running now
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: Are 6L6's that much clearer than 6V6's?

I'd try rebiasing the DR a little cooler first and see if you like it. I've tried the EHs, and they're OK, but I l prefer the JJ 6V6s. They have a big tone, and a bigger bottom than other 6V6s, and the highs are nice and smooth.

If you really want to try the 6L6s, you can do it, but lots of folks say you should beef up the power resistor.

I'm not sure the amp comparison is such a good one for a number of reasons. Also, I don't think of the DRs as being known for their clean tone as much as their clean tone on the edge of breaking up.
    Last edited by Curly; 11-12-2005, 11:00 PM.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

1st think you need to remember is your compairing a bigger tube in a different curcuit. I would try some JJ 6V6's before I go to 6L6's. I'm not 100% sure you can safely run 6L6's a 6V6 amp? I think the 6L6's may draw to much Plate current or something of that nature? I replaced the tried old Phillip's JAN 6V6's in my Princeton with JJ's and I could hear a instant difference. The Low's where rounder and less flubby.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

i'll go jj's-it's only 25 bucks plus shipping, and i have a bias rite to set them up.

I just want it to sound more full range, i don't mind the overdrive at allfrom the low wattage, it just seems like there's a frequency range missing. I'll give the JJ's a go- are they brighter than the EH's, im looking to go brighter and more detailed.
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I must be kind of missing the point. A 2- 6v6 amp will top out around 22 watts, a 2- 6L6 amp will top out around 50 watts. There's going to be a difference in percieved volume and headroom. I look at that as an apples/oranges comparison.

I guess if something doesn't do what I expect it to do, I would find something else that does what I want, rather than forcing something to do what it's not intended to do.

Instead of trying to force a German Shepherd to use a litter box, I'd let the dog go potty outside and I'd get a cat to use the litter box.
          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
          Originally posted by Slash2987
          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
          Originally posted by PVFan
          I'm a good sex man.
          Originally posted by Grumpy
          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

im digging the tone alot, it just doesn't sound too much like real deluxe reverbs that i have heard in recordings.

I play a strat, so i'm goosing the amp to give me brightness and clarity to begin with. I guess that's why i have two amps-one for the SRV type agressive rhythmic chording, and the DRRI for light reverberated stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
              im digging the tone alot, it just doesn't sound too much like real deluxe reverbs that i have heard in recordings.
              Key word here is Recordings You don't know what kind of Compression on the board that was used or mic placement etc.? You really have to hear it in person to make a fair comparision.
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

i guess i'll grow to like it more. I just prefer my bandmaster in some cases since it's just so clean, yet aggressive and waily, and the way that it reacts to my neck pickup is just gravy...

The deluxe doesnt sound so bad with the treble almost dimed and volume at 3

Comment

I like 6L6's a lot more than 6V6's. I used to have a Blues Pearl Texas Tornado, which is a boutique Deluxe Reverb copy, and you could bias either tube in it.
                  I don't like the farty low end that 6V6's had. The amp was louder, but sounded so much better with 6L6's. That's just my observation, since many people love 6V6's. I don't think I'll ever own another 6V6 amp again.....just not my thing.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

6L6 can go into a 6V6 amp all day long, provided the power tranny can put out the extra heater current. plate current shouldnt be a factor.
                    Jeremy Ledford
                    Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                    Tone Shop

Comment

Working...
                    X