No announcement yet.

low and high sensitivty input jacks???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low and high sensitivty input jacks???

what is the difference between low and high sensitivity input jacks on my JCM800 50 watt head(2204)??obviously the volume.i was told one for single coils and the other for humbuckers,is this true? i read on another forum its about the different gain stages.any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.i have both single coil and HXH guitars.which one is for what,jacks that is ?
    john

Re: low and high sensitivty input jacks???

bump
    john

Comment

As far as I know, it has someting to do with the output of your humbuckers. If you have really low-output humbuckers you can put it into high sensitivity output, and the other way around. But I'm not sure, so I'll let others chime in.

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
      Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
      Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
      Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
      Framus FR212 CB cabinet
      Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
      Line6 Toneport UX2
      Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Whichever is for the one that sounds better. One is just higher gain(sensitivity) than the other. Using the quieter one for hums and the louder for singles will let you keep close to the same settings when switching guitars. Otherwise, I just plug back and forth and see what sounds better with the guitar I'm currently using. Have fun!

Comment

You could use the high=Strat/low=humbuckers for more even-ness if you do a lot of guitar switching during a gig. But otherwise, as others have more or less implied, it's a matter of personal taste.
          Generic signature line.

Comment

Its actually quite simple...If you want to run the amp distorted, plug into high. If you want to run the amp clean, plug into low. It'll be pretty difficult to get the amp to *really* distort if you plug into low. I had one of the 800 2203 models, ran my guitar into the low input with a distortion pedal in front. Wasn't the greatest setup ever, but it worked.

Comment

Actually, the 2204/3 is pretty simple to understand... The low input is simply three gain stages like the older Super Leads, the high input adds an additional gain stage for a total of 4. Pu selection has nothing to do with it, very few use the low input since rolling off the guitar volume yields the same result....(rapidly becoming a lost art!) thus giving the player much more "dynamics"..

Jeff Seal
              ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
              www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

I prefer pedals into the Low input. YMMV.

Comment

A cool way to approach it is to go into both of them, with an A/B box, then you basically turn it into a "2 channel" amp, one will be higher gain, the other lower gain-clean.
                  Todd Richards
                  Revolution Guitar

Comment

thanks EVERYBODY !!! all the feedback has been very helpful.this is my first amp head , and i'm just trying to understand/use it properly.
                    john

Comment

Originally posted by RevolutionMan
                      A cool way to approach it is to go into both of them, with an A/B box, then you basically turn it into a "2 channel" amp, one will be higher gain, the other lower gain-clean.
                      I wonder what would happen if you go a 1 to 2 splitter so one guitar signal goes into both inputs at the same time, maybe a hybrid sound in the middle of both.
                      Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                      Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                      Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                      Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                      Fender Frontman 15g
                      Cry Baby
                      Boss DS-2
                      Boss CE-3
                      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
                        Actually, the 2204/3 is pretty simple to understand... The low input is simply three gain stages like the older Super Leads, the high input adds an additional gain stage for a total of 4. Pu selection has nothing to do with it, very few use the low input since rolling off the guitar volume yields the same result....(rapidly becoming a lost art!) thus giving the player much more "dynamics"..

Jeff Seal
                        +1... I almost always run into the Low input using my V-twin unless I´m packing a guitar with actives, then I´ll sometimes just use the High gain input and let her rip...

I personally like the tone of the low gain input more... when the pre-gain goes above about 3ó clock it adds a nice "depth boost" to the already gargantuan tone....
                        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by RevolutionMan
                          Unfortunately, this won't work......anytime the low input is used the high input's signal path is broken thus rendering the high input useless.. you can only use one or the other, but not both.....of course, you could always mod it to do so.

Jeff Seal
                          ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
                          www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

My Laney AOR 50 ( 6 knob) is quite similiar to an 800. I have messed quite a bit with that amp to get the low gain input to scream a bit more. In general, I really appreciate the clarity 3 vs 4 pre amp tubes offers ( the low gain input uses three of the 4, Jeff covered this)). I have to dime the amp, but it gets very plexi like on that channel. It is a big improvement from when I got it, that amp in its stock form is far too bright for my tastes. On the high gain input, I swapped out the 4th pre tube with a 12AT7. Really enhances the clarity on that channel and makes for a more classic rock vs metal sounding amp.
                            ]
                            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Working...
                            X