POD Pro XT rackmount modeler.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POD Pro XT rackmount modeler.

Yeah, I guess we're really varying here and maybe it's a method of working.

My s.o.p. is to go for sounds and commit to things from the start rather then leaving options to muck around with later on. That goes for everything from drum sounds to the last percussion overdubs and stacking layers of backing vocals. When the recording sounds like a record from the beginning of the tracking it pumps everyone up, they play better and the tracking & overdub stages move faster...it also takes less time to mix because we're not creating or recreating anything. If all goes according to plan I can carve the mix and balance levels pretty quickly, getting 2-3 songs off the desk each day isn't uncommon and remixes are rarely needed unless I screwed the pooch the first time around. It doesn't matter if the budget is $5K or $500K, the approach is the always the same.

It's cool that the Pod/software thing is working for you...for the records I work on and those that my friends & peers are making, well...we aren't using that stuff. It's still real amps pushing real air and it's not for a lack of trying to make the Pod sound good. The last time I went down that road we spent about 45 minutes trying to get something that didn't have a mushy bottom end that fell apart & stomped all over the bass & kick drum on chuggy palm muted riffs...5 minutes after plugging into a real amp everyone in the room proclaimed it "rwaked" and we got on with tracking some kick-ass dirt geetar.

Besides...as a guitar player, doesn't the tone influence what & how you play to a certain degree? It totally does for me, and I'd hate to dramatically change it after the fact. So yeah...I have an inherent problem with that approach from either side of the glass.
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Re: POD Pro XT rackmount modeler.

yeah, i think there are many ways of working- for heavier music, i certainly see many people sticking with what works- a band playing loud rock. For the heavy stuff I record though (my own), I really try to get away from those stock power chord thumpy things, since there are so many people doing it...usually a lot better than I ever could.
      Actually, it wasn't me in the studios that picked the sounds, it was the producer. I can basically play with any sound I get- I mean, if I am playing my own music, belive me, I tweak every facet of my sound (45 minutes is nothing- I will work for days getting a guitar sound right, but im insane that way- plus, it is my own personal studio so i can afford it!). I know everyone has different methods of working- go ahead, let these guitarists who disagree get in a room with engineers! they are honestly the works- arguing about years certian mic capsules were made- its really insane..
      Whatever you like, and are comfortable with, you tend to re-use over and over. The tendancy is to go with predictable results.
      I get calls for a lot of styles, from jazzy stuff, to folk, to straight rock to weird ambient progressive soundscapes (my fav)...in my case, there really is no 'band' to capture the chemistry of- it is a producer, a songwriter, maybe a performer, and I am there to give em what they want- they can screw around with it later- thats what I am paid for.
      Personally, I like to commit to things first too. But I will also use anything I can get my hands on to get there- sometimes it takes lots of tweaking- hardware or software, since I am not very satisfied with stock heavy guitar sounds. Or most 'classic' sounds for that matter.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
      X