What does my rack need now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does my rack need now?

I recently bought me a Boogie Quad preamp. I've been playing around with it and it's really got my juices flowing, so I'm looking to complete a rack rig around it. Right now, I've got 3 spaces left in my 6 space rack, and it'd be cool to not get any taller than that. (I'd need Godzilla to navigate some of the skyscraper size rigs I've seen)
    I know I'll need a power amp, and I've thought about an ADA microcab, just for the heck of it, but haven't thought any farther.

Soooo..... what is your favorite piece of rack gear that I just can't live without?

P.S.- GET NOS TESLA 12AX7's!!!!! I don't care if your gear doesn't even take tubes- you need some!!!

Re: What does my rack need now?

A BBE will help things out. I have a MicroCab II and love it. I use it when I play live and have used it to record. With the II you can run it after the power amp or the preamp where as with the I you can only run it after the preamp. Check out the Carvin TS100 amp.
    !

Comment

all you will need is a power amp and effects, like a G Major- and then a good midi pedalboard to control it all. Don't just add stuff 'cause you have the space for it, though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here's what you really need!
        !

Comment

Oh, yeah- I have a BBE 882(I think) that I've been trying with it. I'm not sure if it's me yet or not. I do swear by those things for live sound though, especially in the monitors. Keeps things clean and easy to decipher. I see I will have to look into the Microcab II...

Don't worry- space is at a premium, and I intend to keep it that way!

Comment

Originally posted by milkbone
            What can I say?

Comment

I'd go with either a boogie or marshall 20/20 power amp, plenty of power for most occasions. What's nice about having a well equipped small rack setup like that, is that you can run some cool pedals in the loop and have a real versatile rig.
              Todd Richards
              Revolution Guitar

Comment

To be honest, you need another 4 space rack and a power amp to put in it.

Three rack spaces just isn't enough for a power amp and all the other things you might like. A power conditioner is always nice, a rack tuner is also very useful. A G Major is a good thing to have as well.

Besides, the Quad is big and heavy enough already. Unless you are going to run SS power amps, mixing the Quad and a tube power amp (especially stereo, extra transformers) is going to be heavier than you will want to move.

I'd look at a used Mesa 50/50 power amp. You'll want the 6L6s for Boogie tones and the headroom is better than on the 20/20. I wouldn't trade my 2:90 for the world but thats more torque, weight and expense than most people really need. If you had a Triaxis I'd say 2:90 because of the voice modes but with the Quad, the 50/50 will be perfect.
                www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

+1 to what robert said on a separate rack for the powe amp ... you'll want a power conditioner so that the first powe r spike doesnt kill your investment ... and a time based effects unit, hell even a used rocktron intellifex, will get you your reverbs and delays, etc ...
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

mono power amp. how watts do you need? we can build you up a whip daddy one.

germ
                    Last edited by lastwinj; 11-17-2005, 08:33 PM.
                    Jeremy Ledford
                    Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                    Tone Shop

Comment

hey ParameterMan..
                      maybe a multieffects unit might be a nice thing to have..

Also (shameless spam ), if you need a tube poweramp.. i've got 2 for sale..
                      https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...105#post664105

Cheers
                      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

a bra
                        Originally posted by gibson175
                        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Conditioner + Tuner + Effects Unit + Noise Suppressor

That's about it.

Other than the Mesa 50/50, I would look at a VHT 2502 also.
                          Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                          VHT 2502
                          (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                          (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                          Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                          Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                          http://www.robertkeeley.com
                          Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                          Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Well... I do like the sound of the EL84 powered amps including Boogies that I've played. As for power, loud is never really an option, and I like power tube saturation, so less is definately more. I may be cheap, but I haven't been able to get my head around paying $600 for a used 20/20. It's probably worth it, but after new tubes and possibly getting someone to convert it to bias pots...

Does anyone have a power conditioner to recommend? I normally glaze over when looking at all the options because it's not a shiny toy.

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan
                              Well... I do like the sound of the EL84 powered amps including Boogies that I've played. As for power, loud is never really an option, and I like power tube saturation, so less is definately more. I may be cheap, but I haven't been able to get my head around paying $600 for a used 20/20. It's probably worth it, but after new tubes and possibly getting someone to convert it to bias pots...

Does anyone have a power conditioner to recommend? I normally glaze over when looking at all the options because it's not a shiny toy.
                              for lowest noise get one with transformer isolated outlets. voltage display is also good to have. adjustable would be even better....

germ
                              Jeremy Ledford
                              Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                              Tone Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X