Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vs. Old Marshall 4x12's.

Hey everyone,
    I know that many people still swear by the newer Marshall cabs, but i am curious, are they still built the way they were back in the 60's and 70's or have they to some extent been at least been victim to the whole cost cutting thing like their heads? I mean, new Marshall cabs cost half as much as many others... And whats the deal with the 1960c and 1960v cabs they make? I have a hard time believing that having V30's or Greenbacks instead of 75's constitutes that much of a mark up from the standard 1960 Marshall cab. So whats the scoop on all of this?

Thanks,
    Max
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: New vs. Old Marshall 4x12's.

The old ones where made out from plywood, all the way.
    The Celstions of the past have also changed somewhat up until now.
    Had a brown 4x12 cab with 30 watts speakers in from 1967, it was sadly stolen from me in my old band practise room.
    Best cab I ever had for oldstyle sound.
    But the new ones also have their place, only the close side by side 2x12 cab is a real stinker.

Comment

I hear no difference in the cabs themselves old vs new (swapped the drivers).... but the nev Vintage 30s are MIC, so I steer away from new marshall (or other) cabs loaded with them, and generally have chosen eminence versus celestion since.....
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

A few years back I was playing guitar in a band with a guy with a JCM 900 era 1960 slant cab and I was using my 77 Marshall cab. There were subtle differences in sound, but not enough to be a big difference. Construction wise, the major thing was the particle board back on his- I don't remember if his had a support in the middle from front to back...
        *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
        Originally posted by Slash2987
        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
        Originally posted by PVFan
        I'm a good sex man.
        Originally posted by Grumpy
        I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Working...
        X