Tell me all there is to know about the JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me all there is to know about the JCM800

Yup it's GAS again. My favorite tone-men of all times use Marshalls (Gary Moore, Zakk Wylde...) and I'm thinking, if the POD's JCM800 model doesn't sound like I wish it to, the only solution is a real JCM800. It won't happen for a few years, but I'm curious about this amp and since it seems to be pretty popular and famous, why not just make a thread about it describing its different versions, artist who used them, etc...

What interests me in this is the Zakk Wylde tone. I guess I'd need a 2203 pushed to power tube distortion, and then a boost
    Anyhoo, when I graduate, I'll probably go for a 2203 indeed, with a 2X12 and an attenuator. It'd be a killer setup I hope!

So yeah... Post away on the JCM800. Just tell what you want to, I don't have any questions in particular, more like a lot of small ones relative to price, which would best suit me, what speakers sound well with it and more tips on the ZW sound *hint*

Thanks

Re: Tell me all there is to know about the JCM800

Have you used the search function? There are stacks of threads on this amp. Should have lots of info for you.
    ]
    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Yup, lots of threads on the 2203/2204.

n short, they were also known as the JMP models before the JCM designation.

ZW's sig model uses 6550 power tubes, his cabs have the EV speakers, and he uses EMG's in his Les Paul. Then you'd need the MXR Wylde Overdrive, MXR Stereo Chorus and rip away. Every single piece I mentioned here, minus the Chorus, has his name on it. Endorsement whore, to say the least. There's more to his pedalboard than the two mentioned but start with the amp.

You don't necessarily need the sig amp, and good luck finding one. They were limited and cost a pretty penny. A vintage 2203/2204 would work great. You could get it re-biased and re-tubed for 6550's if you want. I prefer the EL34's myself.

They're great amps, single channel, master volume. But you need to goose them with an overdrive to really get more of out 'em.

Comment

2203s rock...next to a metalface NMV, they are my fave marshalls ever..lots of info around here on them. But THEY ARE LOUD AND NEED TO BE CRANKED AND YOU WILL PISS OFF EVERYONE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD IF YOU DO THAT

As for the POD..don't know which one you have, but with the parametric EQ on the XTL through the ATOMIC it does a damn good 2203 impression at normal voice levels...I just posted a clip over in the clip forum of the XTL 2203through the Atomic. No its not the real thing by a long shot, but all things considered...
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

And you can even hear Jeff hitting the strings so that goes to show ya, good tones to be had at low volumes there.

Comment

The core Zakk tone (from ozzy through early BLS) was his maple necked LP w/EMGs through a Boss OD-1 into vintage JCM800. He has upgraded and added his name to nearly every component as Erik has pointed out, but what learning about his gear way back when taught me is that a few simple ingredients, used in the right way can get you where you want to go. I use an Epi LP with a Custom into a Wylde boost (any boost based off the original Tube Screamer will work) into a Road King set to either full gain on the Brit "clean" channel or minimal gain on the Vintage "distortion" channel. (EL34's of course)

Now (dispite the Av) I don't really look to copy anyone's tone, but if I'm looking for over-the-top sounds like Zakk (less than 10% of the time?) I can get pretty close with what I have.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Kiss and Judas Priest are the definitive JCM 800 tone.....or at least that's what I think of when I think of JCM 800's.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

think 80's you think jcm 800
                Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                Suhr OD-50
                Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I have a the JCM800 2210 (100 watt channel switching head - with reverb & effects loop) circa 1987. Those (and the 2205 - same head but 50 watts) are possibly the best high gain Marshalls ever made.

It is the sound of the 80's before they got cheesy. The 2210 is the amp that Dave Navarro used to record Janes Addiction's "Nothing Shocking". Great amp.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                  buggjuice.net
                  MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The 2203's & 2204's are my fave's in the 800 series. One channel, two inputs, and six knobs. I like when things are kept simple. Not a lot of versatility, but I'm not looking for "Fender" cleans, when I'm playing a Marshall.

Comment

I always thought the difference between the 2203 and 2204 was in the low end. The 2203 just has more thump, which I attributed to the 100 watt output.

However, I have since learned that the 2204 can be improved by installing a better output transformer. Seems Marshall skimped on the OT in the 50 watt variety, but put a good OT in the 100's.

Keep in mind that for most people, a 2203 just makes a ridiculous amount of volume, plus 3dB (making the 2204 merely ridiculous.) So, if you're looking for that tone, but don't play arenas, go for a 2204 and put in a nice aftermarket OT.

At even more reasonable volumes, you might want to read my description of my DIY 18 Watter clone (link in signature, then go to "The Workshop"). As much as I loved my 2203-into-EV rigs, I like my little "13 Watter" better. However, I admit I'm not shooting for Zakk tone.

P.S. Look into the 4010 combo, too. Another JCM800 I've owned and loved. A supremely practical amp with monster Marshall tone. And you can always drive a 4x12 with it.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

or you could get a splawn..and you wouldn't need a pedal
                        Splawn QR
                        Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                        Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
                        George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
                        My Gear Pix
                        My SPLAWN Clips
                        My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

I don't want Zakk's tone. It's just the one thing that made me want a JCM800, as I believe it'd be the one for the tone I'm looking for. I was just more curious about all the different versions and such.
                          I have the POD2.0. The model isn't bad, but I don't have enough gain on it for modern very high gain metal.

Comment

Well, those amps (2203/2204 specifically) aren't very high gain by today's standards by any means. It takes a nice overdrive, like a Boss SD-1, Ibanez Tube Screamer, MXR Distortion+, MXR Wylde Overdrive, or whatever your favorite is, to get more gain, or saturation. That is assuming the amp is still stock. Lots of them were hotrodded to get more gain out them without a pedal. Even stock with an overdrive, it'll still fall short of today's high gain metal levels. It can still do metal, just more 80's metal which had less gain.

Comment

Well I consider Zakk's tone to be pretty high gain? And I mean, Slayer, Trivium... They also use this amp right? And I do have an SD1. One last thing to buy I'll first retube my Laney AOR combo and see how it sounds first.

Comment

Working...
                              X