Fulltone Ultimate Octave - review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulltone Ultimate Octave - review!

I sold my Deja Vibe 2 (it wasn't really gellin' with me, ask me why if ya wanna know) and promptly used the $$ to buy a Fulltone Ultimate Octave pedal. I'd been looking for a good vintage-style octave pedal with some modern flavor to it and this REALLY hit the spot!

The Fuzz is thick and fat, and the tone control doesn't so much roll off high end as it does focus the mids in 2 different direction on extreme ends of the range. At 12'oclock it sounds clearest, the most defined, and the most neutral. The Bright switch gives it a kind of Big Muff sound, sort of. Like a happy-face EQ curve applied to the sound. I kept this thing on Fat the entire time.

The octave up function tracks REALLY well so you can play fastand get away with it and even works with power chords to get a fat, nasty, almost synthlike sound. One the more vintage sounding settings this thing just OOZES Jimi. On the regular, more modern settings it sounds like it's spitting bubbling acid right into the guitar lines. Fat, nasty, and out of control. Thumbs up!!

BTW for a good demo of this pedal in a more modern context (as it'll do the Jimi thing all day) check out Joe Satriani's main solo in "Crystal Planet" after the bass and drum breaks in the middle.

Re: Fulltone Ultimate Octave - review!

Very nice overview, glad you like it.

I've heard very good things about people using the ChoralFlange to thicken up their live sound going to two amps/cabs. What were you using the Deja Vibe for?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Fulltone makes great Fuzz units. I have the '69 and I've played the '70 and they both sound awesome. Really dynamic pedals. I like the OCD as well, which, to my ears, has a bit of the same high end and dynamics as the fuzz pedals.
      Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

I have a Fulltone '69 and I absolutely love that Fuzz.
        I also have a DejaVibe but I dont use it as much because im not Robin Trower.
        I want an octavia eventually, it'll probabally be Fulltone.
        Last edited by Armotron; 11-18-2005, 03:30 PM.
        There is no spoone
        - The Matricks

Comment

I love Fulltone stuff, and have had quite a few different ones, but never had that one. I've never known if I really needed an Octave pedal, so it's good to hear you like it.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
            I've heard very good things about people using the ChoralFlange to thicken up their live sound going to two amps/cabs. What were you using the Deja Vibe for?
            I grew tired of choruses and flangers and thought I'd give this a try for a new twist on my sound. I felt like I needed more of a mix of that AND light chorus to get what I wanted. I'm just trying to explore new sounds.

The thing i love about this pedal... it does Jimi out the ass but the first impression is that its just downright NASTY. I love a good slap-you-in-the-face sound and this gets it.

Comment

Working...
            X