Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The diagnosis is back about my blown JTM60 combo

Hey guys.

I spoke to the tech today who has my JTM60 combo since it stopped working, and he's told me what's up with it.

It needs 2 new EL34 Power valves and a new output transformer

From what I gather this is a pretty serious problem, but the tech has told me that a new power transformer will fix the problem and maybe even improve the sound of the amp.

Just thought I'd make a follow up post to the 1 about my amp dying in the 1st place

Craig

Re: The diagnosis is back about my blown JTM60 combo

What is he gonna charge you ? That is really frustrating, I would not throw a bunch of cash at that amp unless you absolutely love it.
    ]
    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

the tranny's are pretty much the most expensive part of an amp so that bites man...but like he said...it will sound awesome when you get it back!!!

good luck with it!
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

The JTM 60 series isn't Marshall's better amp! I'd unload that amp or make it a good door stop!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

dude i dont want to say i told you so , but this is what exactly happened to my JTM60 and they had to fix the OT.
          then i had a bunch of problems all the time.

get rid of that sucker.
          i did and i still can believe i was so lucky.

i am looking for an old Marshall now.
          that amp does sound pretty darn good when it is operational but it will make you hold your breath everytime you turn it on.
          Ibanez Roadstar II
          EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
          VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
            dude i dont want to say i told you so , but this is what exactly happened to my JTM60 and they had to fix the OT.
            then i had a bunch of problems all the time.

get rid of that sucker.
            i did and i still can believe i was so lucky.

i am looking for an old Marshall now.
            that amp does sound pretty darn good when it is operational but it will make you hold your breath everytime you turn it on.
            I'm sitting in front of one of Marshall's best amps ever! The 50 watt 1987 Non-master volume amp!
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks for the posts guys.

I do like the sound of the amp. This is the 1st problem I've ever encountered with the amp, so I can't ***** about it just yet

I've been told the parts will be about £75 + labour charges, so it's not that expensive to have repaired. It's just that I'm skint at the minute, which doesn't help matters at all.

My Orange AD30 is actually my main amp at the minute, as it sounds alot better for the stuff I'm playing in my current bands. But the JTM60 is the only combo I have, and I like it for it's portability when I don't have the transport to take a head and cab with me.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

That price doesn't sound too bad. I've paid £30 for a pair of bog-standard Svetlana EL34s before, so the OT doesn't sound too expensive.

That drop in volume you had was probably the cue that you'd blown an EL34, which was probably when the OT started getting damaged. I had an EL34 go like that at a rehearsal, but I didn't play it for long.

JTM60s get some bad press, but mine always sounded great and was 100% reliable through several years of gigging. Most of the problems I've heard of ("tone?" excepted) are with amps sold in America - maybe their output stages were different due to different voltage? My JTM60 was great.

I say if you like the sound of the amp it's worth spending that much to get it fixed.

Simon

Comment

Mine $hit the bed soon after I bought it. But no doubt it was a GREAT sounding amp. Arguably the best clean channel Marshall ever made...crank up the gain & MV on the clean channel and it would get into plexi-ish territory, and the gain channel I felt was more open and dynamic than the 800 Channel switcher I owned. But then I bought my 1987X, and well..thats just a whole 'nother ball park
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

That amp has the worst 'break down' record of any Marshall. That's why it gets such a bad rap. In other cases, the bias drifts off, too hot, and the circuit board warps from heat, since the sockets are mounted directly on it.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                      Mine $hit the bed soon after I bought it. But no doubt it was a GREAT sounding amp. Arguably the best clean channel Marshall ever made...crank up the gain & MV on the clean channel and it would get into plexi-ish territory, and the gain channel I felt was more open and dynamic than the 800 Channel switcher I owned. But then I bought my 1987X, and well..thats just a whole 'nother ball park
                      I Put an OEI Plexi output transformer and then Trace Allen and myself worked alot of magic into my 50 watter you see pictured....Oddly enough,I hardly ever play this amp out and pretty much only use my Valvetronix head through either the V30 4x12 you see pictured or the matching V30 2x12 Vox cabinet...The Vox amp is that good or I wouldn't use it...

The SLO 100 setting is great,as is the boutique distortion and the Modern UK settings for high gain...The UK 80s is very doable also....

For clean,I Like the Vox AC30 and the BF 2x12 settings,though the 59 Bassman and a bit of reverb is nice,thick,and full sounding..

The amp has an awful lot to offer overall..

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 11-18-2005, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Thanx for the posts guys.

Originally posted by Simon_F
                        Craig,

That price doesn't sound too bad. I've paid £30 for a pair of bog-standard Svetlana EL34s before, so the OT doesn't sound too expensive.

That drop in volume you had was probably the cue that you'd blown an EL34, which was probably when the OT started getting damaged. I had an EL34 go like that at a rehearsal, but I didn't play it for long.

JTM60s get some bad press, but mine always sounded great and was 100% reliable through several years of gigging. Most of the problems I've heard of ("tone?" excepted) are with amps sold in America - maybe their output stages were different due to different voltage? My JTM60 was great.

I say if you like the sound of the amp it's worth spending that much to get it fixed.

Simon
                        I gathered something was wrong when the amp started getting overpowered by a Peavey Bandit! But as I've never had any amp go wrong on me before, I didn't know to stop using the amp

I'll see how I like the sound of the amp after it's fixed and then decide from there wether to sell it or not

Craig

Comment

Hope it doesnt break down on you again man.
                          My friend said his JTM60 just shut down for like the 3rd time at one of his jams, not very reliable amps i guess!
                          There is no spoone
                          - The Matricks

Comment

Originally posted by Armotron
                            Hope it doesnt break down on you again man.
                            My friend said his JTM60 just shut down for like the 3rd time at one of his jams, not very reliable amps i guess!
                            I have read about alot of reliability issues with the JTM 30/60 series of amps.

The majority of bad reviews I've read have been of amps for the US market, not Europe, So maybe it's an issue that mainly affects the 'made for the US' amps. Who knows?!

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                              I Put an OEI Plexi output transformer and then Trace Allen and myself worked alot of magic into my 50 watter you see pictured....Oddly enough,I hardly ever play this amp out and pretty much only use my Valvetronix head through either the V30 4x12 you see pictured or the matching V30 2x12 Vox cabinet...The Vox amp is that good or I wouldn't use it...

The SLO 100 setting is great,as is the boutique distortion and the Modern UK settings for high gain...The UK 80s is very doable also....

For clean,I Like the Vox AC30 and the BF 2x12 settings,though the 59 Bassman and a bit of reverb is nice,thick,and full sounding..

The amp has an awful lot to offer overall..
                              Uhmmm.......OK

I tried as a last resort my tonelab SE through the Rivera last night (through the loop as a power amp), and it was the best combo I tried so far, but in no way, shape, or form does it compare to any real Marshall I've owned (or the Rivera). I'm glad it works for you John but it doesn't work for me
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X