OD/Dist pedals: Before Amp vs Effects Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OD/Dist pedals: Before Amp vs Effects Loop

vinterland, your delay example is right on, and yes it does sound pretty bad, but lots of folks run chorus, flanger, phasers before the pre-amp. Not a problem with those at all so I have to disagree with you there. It just sounds different.

GT, for what you're wanting to do, push the front end of the amp with the DS-1. That'll hit the pre-amp tubes harder and give some more saturation. You can use a distortion, overdrive or a booster.

But if I had a single channel amp and the pre-amp was already saturated and I needed a boost for a solo, if the amp had an effects loop, I'd put a booster in there. I'd still run an OD out front too cause I like to.

Another option is a dual volume pot box that switches between them with a DPDT switch. Set one higher than the other. Instant rhythm/lead settings for a single channel amp.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
      1) If you run the pre-amp clean, then run the booster or OD in front to give some grit, and it will boost as well.
      Gain knob low.

2) If you run the pre-amp dirty with little or no clean headroom left, then run the booster or OD in the loop (after the pre-amp) to boost the overdriven signal going to the power amp.
      Gain on 10.

A DS-1 is a distortion device but will give some boost when dialed in just right to do so. I prefer to use the tool designed for the job, and that is a booster for boost and overdrive for overdrive. Even though an overdrive can be dialed in to boost, it's just not the same. Too much coloration going on.
      I simply have been liking a lot of distortion with my strat lately. Trying to pretend my SSS is a single hum metal machine...until I can make it that way for real.
      Last edited by Guitar Toad; 11-18-2005, 05:20 PM.
      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

vinterland, your delay example is right on, and yes it does sound pretty bad, but lots of folks run chorus, flanger, phasers before the pre-amp. Not a problem with those at all so I have to disagree with you there. It just sounds different.
        Yeah you are right about the chorus and flanger, as I know they can be run before though usually aren't so sorry about that. I should have edited to only include "delay". I also prefer it in the loop for what you said, the sound. I just don't like any kind of effects before the pre.
        Last edited by vinterland; 11-18-2005, 05:55 PM.
        Speak through your fingers

Comment

Originally posted by vinterland
          Yeah you are right about the chorus and flanger, as I know they can be run before though usually aren't so sorry about that. I should have edited to only include "delay". I also prefer it in the loop for what you said, the sound. I just don't like any kind of effects before the pre.
          I myself don't either. I run chorus and delay in the loop. However, I do like my Phase 90 out front better. I'll use the chorus out front if I'm using my practice amp and want some chorus since it doesn't have a loop but the effect isn't "there" as much. Still a pretty cool sound.

Comment

My trial reveals that in front of the amp definitely sounds better than in the effects loop. I think that this reveals that I really need a Marshall.
            Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
              My trial reveals that in front of the amp definitely sounds better than in the effects loop. I think that this reveals that I really need a Marshall.
              What are you playing through now?

Comment

Yeah, I think that the amp that you're playing through is the key to the answer to the question. For me, I run an old SD-1 in front of whichever Boogie I'm using, and I use it with the clean channel to get that in-between crunch-rhythm tone. I bought the amps partially for their gain tones, so I let them take care of that for gain-laden solo stuff. I run the time-based effects in the loop so as to not color my tone anymore than is necessary to use the effect(s). I blend in a bit of totally wet effect tone with the premp tone, and then it's on to the power amp to be boosted from there.

All that being said, your own ears are the ultimate judge. There will be others who do the complete opposite of what I do, and they're just as right as I am. Every combination sounds different and you have to experiment to find the one that sounds good to you.

I hope it helps.
                Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I use all of my effects (which include volume, wah, overdrive, distortion, and delay) before my input for a number of reasons.

1.) ease of trouble shooting
                    2.) I get clutterphobic and can't have a bunch of cables under my feet
                    3.) It just gets the sound I want better than in the effects loop

Different strokes, ya know? (I also use a Valvulator I buffer after my guitar and before the effects to change the signal's impedence and give it a buffer so that I don't suffer any signal degredation over the run through the pedals)
                    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

What are you playing through now?
                      Reverend HellHound
                      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                        Reverend HellHound
                        I'm not familiar with that one. At least you experimented though and found what works for you.

Comment

But isn't boosting the power amp until it breaks up the same as turning the master volume up (except that the preamp isn't doing as much work)
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

You want to hit the front in of the amp to get your gain (Especially on tube amps!!) .You DON'T want to over drive your effects loop.The effects loop is used best when you run effects like echo,chorus or reverb through it..

Comment

Originally posted by DeadSkinSlayer3
                              Wtf.... never run anything that boosts gain or volume in the effects loop. While I'm not sure if this is true, I've heard you can seriously screw up your poweramp.

Your pedal should not be causing noise because of battery use, but because it's a distortion pedal, it will create hissy white noise. It's just the nature of using high gain.
                              Would this apply to running an EQ in the effects loop?? I run a Boss Ge7 in my Riveras effects loop and oddly enough, over the past 4-6 months I have developed some intermittent problems that no one can diagnose.

JQ

Comment

EQ in the effects loop is a pretty common thing.

Its threads like this that make me happy to be a 'guitar to volume pedal to amp' kind of player.
                                Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Working...
                                X