What are the "essential pedals"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the "essential pedals"?

Hey guys i was doing some thinking a few days ago and i realized lately ive been practicing on ym playing and less fiddling with pedals and such. I realized i dont even really need a delay, and would probbaly have been better off saving myself the 300 bucks it cost me. I only really needed a good distortion pedal and a tuner pedals thats all! In anycase the delay is for fun and maybe do give my solos that extra smack and all that but its not really neccessary at all.

So my point is what do you guys deem as essential epdals that every guitar player should have on his pedal baord? For me i think a tuner pedal is quite improtant, for the obvious reason..... and a good overdrive or distortion if your amp is single channel, other than that i can see myself and many players getting away with just that. How about you guys? Your thoughts?

DISCUSS!!!

-Jason
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: What are the "essential pedals"?

none are essential.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I agree...and I make the damm things

Comment

Personally I have 2 pedals that are 'must have's.' The first is Paul Cochrane's Timmy and the second is an Xotic RC Boost.
        Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
        www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

what is the Timmy?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Amps and guitars are essential.
            Pedals are additions.

Great drive..the name must be from Monthy Phyton

Comment

I think the wah pedal is nice to have. It gives alot of expression.
              Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
              Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
              Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
              Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
              Fender Frontman 15g
              Cry Baby
              Boss DS-2
              Boss CE-3
              Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

My stage tuner is essential, but I'm not sure the tuner counts as a pedal. As a lead guitar player, the only "Essential" one for me is my MXR Micro Amp, which I use for every solo. My FDII and wah are definitely not essential and I could easily gig without them.

Comment

some kind of looper/delay is essential for me.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hmmm... I'd need at least one type of modulation effect... be it a chorus, phase, or vibe. It's killing me that I had to sell all my pedals.

I think the essential pedals are probably:
                    at least one modulation
                    distortion or overdrive
                    tuner
                    a GOOD modded wah pedal
                    and most importantly... a NOISE SUPPRESSOR!!! I never leave home without mine
                    7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I'd say if the amp by itself can't do it to your liking add a good:

OD, Reverb Unit, compressor and a tuner. Simpler is alway better for great tone and remember the more that you add inline the more loss of good signal.

I've got my Valvetronics with all of this plus extra built in. I still only use the Amp, Amp's gain, eq and delay plus an actual OD pedal inline...occasionally some compressison. I barely tap the amps resources, but I think that I get a better tone that way.
                      '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I thinkt he only pedal that is an absolute essential would be my tuner pedal. I like to make sure I'm in tune so I'll check it often, and I can do so quick and easily.

Comment

I'll ditto the none

there are plenty of threads on the web about endless, expensive pedal searches

get a good guitar, a good tube amp, and just work your a$$ off

that said, if I had to pick one, it would be an overdrive if you're playing single coils
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

Here's another vote for a Tuner pedal. Never really cared for it until I started gigging. My Phase 90 would be next. One knob, tons of sound....

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                              I'll ditto the none

there are plenty of threads on the web about endless, expensive pedal searches

get a good guitar, a good tube amp, and just work your a$$ off

that said, if I had to pick one, it would be an overdrive if you're playing single coils
                              That about covers it.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
                              X