Wah mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah mods?

I've got a Vox reissue and standard early 90's crybaby. I noticed the mods page that someone posted here and that was pretty cool... If I wanted to mod one of these to get a cutting, vocal wah sound, where do I start? I'm looking for a throughly modern wah sound under high gain, something along the lines of Zakk in BLS, Tremonti in some of the Creed songs, etc...

I don't know if I need a higher "Q", if I need a wider sweep or what, but right now it sounds more like a sweeping filter than a pronounced "Bwwaaaahhhh". Also, is there any way to set the sweep width so that it's all usuable? Right now, it seems I'm sitting in the middle of the sweep making very minute adjustments to wah, I want to be able to sweep the whole range of the pedal and not have the top end all trebly and the bottom end muddy.

Should I even attempt this or should I check out some of the more adjustable wahs like the Dime and Teese?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: Wah mods?

Have you tried opening up the pedal, and adjusting the pot's range?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

All I've done is "shifted" the range by pulling the gear back and rotating the pot. I have not replaced any components. I guess I'm looking for a good guide of what each mod can do. (It's great that a wah is so simple that you can do mods like this...)
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

What you did is what I was talking about. Talk to John Spina. He does some pretty neat stuff to wahs, like adjustable gain boosts.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Cool...

Anyone else?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
            1. Quit your whining.
            2. Quit your crying.
            3. Suck it up.
            If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

If you have pre 1990 GCB-95 (Before the jacks where PCB mounts) It's EZ to mod for true Bypass. One mod I did was put a .01 cap across the 33k resistor just left of the Inductor. This smooth's out the tone. There's a few resistor's that can be changed depending on what your going for? You can change the pot to a Fulltone and change the inductor. I don't know what the best inductor that avilable off hand. Do a fourm search SD97 (John) has a few posts on the subject.
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Perfect, Thanks.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                X