Victoria tweed twin GAS hits hard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria tweed twin GAS hits hard...

I was playing down in my nation's delightful capital city this weekend. There's a guy down there who's setting up a guitar shop specializing in premium gear, a first for this country, and conveniently right across the street from the venue I was playing. He wasn't set up yet, and was busy sanding and painting, but had remembered me from an email about a month ago and had a suhr strat and Victoria tweed twin in the back room just in case I popped by. Cool!

So I check them both out in the shop for a bit. I then got called away to soundcheck, and after soundcheck he bought both up for me to A/B against my strat and vibrolux.

The Victoria tweed twin was outstanding! -Absolutely beautiful tweed tone, with full bottom end and nice clean headroom. Both the lo and hi inputs had very usable tonalities, and the breakup was smooth and chewy. It had that wonderful dimensional warmth that tweed amps have, where you never feel like you need reverb, and yet the tone still cuts through.

Compared to my vibrolux, it was definitely up a level. It had similar volume and headroom, making it usable for my types of gigs, but sounded fatter and more complex, with much better low end response that isn't so much 'tightness' as it is 'non-fartness'. My vibro definitely sounded good, but the twin had that x-factor about it, where you just want to play and play.

We're looking at returning to Wellington in feb, and the shop will be fully set up by then. He'll have a shipment of Carrs, victorias and suhrs in, as well as Duesenbergs, top end fender and gibson, keely, t-rex, and sheldon amps from the UK. I can't wait to check out the tweed 2x10 super he has on order. That could be the grail for me...
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: Victoria tweed twin GAS hits hard...

I tried one of those here in town...the same guy has the Vic clone of the late 50's Tweed Super...thats the one to get!

I love that amp!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

a friend and I A/Bed the Vicky with the Fender '57, and he later got a Vicky

Victoria's site describes them as percussive. My friend said his doesn't break up quite as early as he'd like, but that may be a speaker fix. I think his has C12Ns, but he might get at least one P12N.

as you know, Clapton's favorite amp is his old low powered tweed Twin

and of course, tweed just looks cool up on stage
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

That's a great amp. I sadly watched my Bassman LTD drive away today with the guy who bought it from me. The thing that made me happiest was that it wasn't a blues lawyer who bought it, it was a semi-famous blues harp player.
        He walked in, and opened his mic bag and some DI type pedal. Set the controls on the amp to flat, then started wailing away! Awesome! The Bassman or Tweed Twin are the greatest types of amps for that. It sent chills up my spine.

What makes me happiest is knowing that the Bassman LTD is going to be beat to crap over the next 20 years, along with this guy's blues band. It was never destined to be my main amp, so I'm glad it'll be his.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly

Victoria's site describes them as percussive. My friend said his doesn't break up quite as early as he'd like, but that may be a speaker fix. I think his has C12Ns, but he might get at least one P12N.

Yeah, it had comparable headroom to my NFC-modded vibrolux. And you're right, the tweed was stunning.

It's porbably the perfect amp for live use for me out of the range, though I'd like to see what the 2 and 3x10 super copies are like for headroom. I'm definitely thinking about ways and means of getting one...

Comment

Originally posted by Curly

I'm not sure what power tubes are in that amp, but tell your buddy to try a pair of TAD 6L6wgb's. Incredible in that style amp.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Victorias are real nice amps, as are the Clarks, but before you Gas over either, be sure to try a Louis Electric Twinmaster first - best Tweed clone I ever played.

JQ

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Q
                Victorias are real nice amps, as are the Clarks, but before you Gas over either, be sure to try a Louis Electric Twinmaster first - best Tweed clone I ever played.

JQ
                Sounds nice, but an impossibility in New Zealand. right now I'm pinching myself that a guy is importing Victoria, Sheldon, Carr, CAA and Zinky!

Comment

Working...
                X