X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jcm 2000?

How reliable are these amps?

How good is the clean channel (DSL50)?

Anything I should know about these amps?

I can get one for $500. Is this a good deal?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Re: Jcm 2000?

In my opinon...

All new marshalls are built like absolute garbage. Cheap pots, cheap switches, cheap jacks.

The JCM2000 has a decent overdrive sound, but can get muddy.

The clean is awful, flat, and dull, and makes good pedals sound bad.

Yes, I'm a botique amp snob, but once you play a Bogner Shiva, its hard to go back to marshalls.

If you want a kickass clean sound, that makes overdrive pedals sound amazing, get a new Reissue Fender Blues Deluxe, and a Barber DirectDrive pedal, and you'll have tone that'll blow any marshall away for about $700 total.

Comment

Well, it is a 50 watt Marshall but the DSL's have the best cleans of any Marshall in years, I have heard very little to no problems with the breaking down and $500 is a great price...Maybe Wattage will chime in, he just got one a week or 2 ago!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Oh, forgot to say I don't use any pedals. I use the clean channels for, well, clean.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I love my TSL, and get a great clean tone with my Legacy. Plus 2 drive channels (with shared EQ), switchable FX loop and reverb.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I have found the 2000's to be slightly dull sounding. They are lacking an edge I like to hear in am amp.

Maybe an EQ could bring them to life? I dont know..its like something is missing.
            Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

You just have to spend a bit more tweaking time with them. Each venue can make quite a difference on the sound.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

new tubes, and you'll be much happier - it worked wonders for me

my dsl401 is a great little amp - havnt gigged with it in ages, but i liked the tones i got back then.. but comparing a DSL50 to a bogner shiva is hardly a fair contest, it's like comparing a bugatti to a ford transit

tom

Comment

i thought these were ablsolutely terrible- the clean sound was more than dull, it was clinical. the overdrive was simple and non-dynamic. i've played a few good Marshalls but these weren't it.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                    Oh, forgot to say I don't use any pedals. I use the clean channels for, well, clean.
                    The 2000 is not a bad Amp, but IMO the DSL is a lot better. It gives you a much wider range of tones that are usable. Its basically a 800, 900, and a 2000. With a few added features. Real good sounding amps. I am going to get a 100 watt head sooner or later!
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've got a TSL602 and have had absolutely no problems in the 3+ years I've had it. The tone is awesome for LZ, AC/DC, & punk style music. I play a lot of old Metallica stuff, and while the amp has good tone, its no Mesa. I really dig having 2 levels of crunch tho and this is where the amp shines.

I did use the clean channel with my old Korg AX1000G to play some RATM stuff, and this amp really kicked *ss! I recently went with individual boxes and stopped using the Korg and just used the "Lead" channel on my amp which sounds way more "natural" than the korg.

For a while when I would go to stores to try out new axes, I would always try them on a DSL40 and was never able to achieve the same tone as my TSL602 (maybe for obivous reasons), nor was I able to dial in a tone I liked...
                      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

I have a DSL 100 and it's a great amp
                        thereveling.com

Comment

I am liking mine so far. Practiced with it Friday and gigged with it on Saturday. I put in Ruby Pre's and Svet EL34's and it improved the amp in every noticable way over the stock marshall ECC83s and the Sovtek EL34's.

I had to change the power tubes Saturday because it appears it on of the Sovteks was failing so I dropped in a set of the Svets and did the bias on it (which was ridiculously easy btw) and holy crap does it rock now. I really couldn't care about it's clean sound but it was quite nice.

Only issue I have and I will have to figure it out is when coming off of standby. If you play for a while then go to standby when you come back up it seemd to be down on power a bit. Not sure the deal there and maybe I am just imaging it but it has happened twice so I am a bit confused about it. Tonewise though no issues at all and eveyone that has heard it loved it.

Mine is a 1998 DSL100 head just so you know. I didn't get a chance to play throught the 50 wt but I was told by several people familiar with both that the 100wt was the better choice. $500 sounds like a good price for the 50wt. I paid $799 for the 100wt, there were 2 other that were $899 and $999 respectively and there was a 2 year old 50 for $999 as well.
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I have played Diezel, VHT, Bogner and others and think there is NOTHING wrong with the DSL series. I just sold my DSL50 after owning it since '98. It was perfect in reliability and sounded very good. A DSL50 for $500 is a good deal. I traded mine in at GC and got $650 (went towards a Warwick bass). I happen to think its clean channel is excellent and the nasty stuff is also good. When I talked to Vinny Moore a few months ago he had a DSL50 under his arm the whole time (before he went on stage). I give the DSL50 and DSL100 thumbs up. I prefer the 50 myself but you can't go wrong with either.
                            MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

I think the DSL 50 is a great amp. The cleans are the best i've heard on a marshall in a long, long time. The dirty is very versatile, which is why people probably dont like it, they may not have spent enough time tweaking it. I'm seriously considering up-sizing to the DSL50 from my 401. They do sound alot different though, I personally prefer the 50. For the money, I would snap that one up.
                              "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X