Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a Plexi?

Coupla Plexi Marshalls!

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hey guys, what does the term NMV stand for? That one's eluded me.

John, that photo is SO not fair, LOL. I want a plexi daddy--and I want one NOW!
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
        Non-Master Volume
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul

John, that photo is SO not fair, LOL. I want a plexi daddy--and I want one NOW!
          Those aren't my amps! Just an internet photo I Liked..
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Actual PLEXI's refer to the plastic-y / plexiglas panels on the old school Marshalls.

That aside, Marshalls from 1967 - 1973 are handwired BEASTS! They sound unreal! Creamy, huge, angry, and toneful - tons of articulation, very warm, and very responsive to touch. They are also louder than hell! After 1974 they slowly got brighter and brighter, then mastervolume models came in and voila you had the brighter 80s metal crunch which Slash and Lynch exemplify

Listen to any Allman Bros, Van Halen, Live ZEP, Free etc and its a 100w Plexi
            1973 Les Paul Standard
            1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I skipped what are no doubt a lot of great replies, but here's my take.

You start with a JTM45 and put in EL34's and a solid state rectifier and you've got a Plexi. There are only a very small handful of component changes from the JTm45. Mostly it's the power tubes and the rectifier.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Yeah, if you ignore the tubes/rectifier, the 67 and 68 plexis were very similar to the JTM45's, sharing a lot of values on the circuit board and the large axial capacitors in particular
                Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                Marshall Mods

Comment

Working...
                X