Power tube rattle is making me batty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tube rattle is making me batty

I finally got frustrated enough with the annoying rattle coming from my amp to dive in and find it. I figured out that the power tubes were rattling like crazy. They are completely fine when I put a little upward pressure on them like in the pic below. Anyone know a cure for this? I have pulled the tubes and squeezed the tube holders together in order for a more snug fit but seems that after they get hot the rattle just comes back. It's fine @ louder volumes but when playing at house volume it is annoying.

I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Re: Power tube rattle is making me batty

The only fixes i know of is to retention the tube socket's and/or get spring retainers like this.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

where would I get spring retainers like the ones on yours for my 6L6s?

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent
        where would I get spring retainers like the ones on yours for my 6L6s?
        Try www.hoffmanamps.com They work for 6L6's . I even made them work in my Princeton with 6V6's. Hade to cut the springs a Lil'
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Installing spring tube retainers is a good idea. I've also learned that noisy tubes from internal rattling cab be tamed by putting a stripe of heat resistant silicon glue around the glass. Also, I've seen silicon rubber bands that you can put on tubes to silence them.....I'm not sure where to get them though.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            Installing spring tube retainers is a good idea. I've also learned that noisy tubes from internal rattling cab be tamed by putting a stripe of heat resistant silicon glue around the glass. Also, I've seen silicon rubber bands that you can put on tubes to silence them.....I'm not sure where to get them though.
            Would a squirt of Silicone from a tube work? Maybe flip your head upside down and lay something large and heavy (like a book) and put it on the tops of the tubes to hold them down and firmly in the sockets. Then give a couple of squirts of the silicone across the tube and the socket and let dry for a day. Then the silicone should be good for both tensioning and vibration absorption. Thing is, when you change tubes, it will require cutting away.

Spring tensioners should look better though...

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
              Try www.hoffmanamps.com They work for 6L6's . I even made them work in my Princeton with 6V6's. Hade to cut the springs a Lil'
              Thanks a ton bro!! I just ordered them from Hoffman. It has been quite some time since I have had an amp with spring tube retainers and I just forgot about them so thanks again!! Can't wait to get em and stop the rattle.

Comment

before you use silicone for anything make sure its the right type, me and a friend had some difficulty a few days ago when we used a wierd type of silicone that for some reason will not dry. To make a long story short we now have a bong that not only looks like **** but also gets silicone crap all over your fingers.
                Originally posted by ratherdashing
                If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Sorry to my silicone friends, but I never ever wil ever put that crap on my amp!!! No offense....just personal preference.

Comment

Another trick that I've used(and it doesn't cause a fire)is to take small cut off peices of foam and place it between the installed retainer rings and the bottom tip of each output tube...Cures the problem..I've done this several times and in different amps for the same reasons...Rattle.
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                    X