One more Valvetronix tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more Valvetronix tube question

So you guys have got me trying to be very discriminating with my VTH60 now, and my current aim with the amp is to improve the cleans to whatever degree I can. I'm trying to remove some high end harshness I am noticing. I can improve it some with an equalizer in the loop, but if a tube swap will smooth it out, I'm all for it. Based on that objective, what tube would you recommend??

BTW, I am so jazzed with a couple things right now, I gotta vent (in a good way).

1) I have an Earcandy Sovereign 1x12 scheduled to arrive tomorrow, got it for an unbelievable price - guess either nobody liked the color or nobody wants a 1x12 but me. Will be comparing it to my vintage Bassman 2x12 and an Avatar 2x12. Hope it is as good as advertised, I am trying to go as light and streamlined as I can get away with.

2) Just picked up a Peterson Stobostomp. Hated plunking down the $$ for this but one day with it and I'm a diehard advocate. I thought I had decent ears (and still think so) but this thing is the bomb. Comparing this thing to any Boss tuner is night and day. I won't even consider or refer to the Korg, Fender and other $20 gadgits as tuners anymore. Plus feature-wise, it is by all reports and seems so to me by ear to be true - true bypass and has a DI for acoustic (haven't used this yet, will over the holidays. It has many other special features as well, but this is starting to sound like an advertisment. For intonating a guitar, well, I've just never had my guitars sound this good before. Don't forget to answer my tube question!!
    Wankologist
    Ultra Strat > G30 Relay > Stobostomp > Pod HD500 > DT25 Combo - Taylor 810, MIM Deluxe Players w/Kleins, Artcore 73

Following gear for sale - Super Champ XD / BBE Sonic Stomp / Line 6 M13 / Brian Moore i1 / '65 Bassman / Reverend Hellhound 1x12 / Tech 21 Power Engine

Re: One more Valvetronix tube question

I finally settled on the Groove Tubes 12AX7-M but there have been some reliability issues with this tube. Plus it is expensive as mine was $25 or so with shipping off of ebay. I haven't had any trouble with mine yet and I've heard the new runs of this tube have produced no problems. The Ruby ECC83 and a few NOS Mullard 12AT7 tubes also sounded really good.

I not sure but I believe by running a 12AT7 the clean headroom and tone will improve. You will lose some power but I didn't notice it that much with my AD60VTX. Our forum brothers will chime in on this I hope just to clarify.

I've got an Earcandy Buzzbomb 2X12 on the way so I'm really interested in hearing how you like the 1x12.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Re: One more Valvetronix tube question

I put a new Tungsol 12AX7 in my AD60 head, and it did seem to improve the overall fidelity of the amp, although that's about all it does. The tube isn't really in a position to mess too much with the gain levels, as they're all dictated by the digital preamp. I think the stock tube is just a cheap $5 tube, but using something like a GT-M, GT-C, JJ ECC803S, Tungsol, or Sovtek LPS, is a good way to improve the overall sound that makes it into the SS power amp. It's almost like using a good tube in a tube mic preamp, just because there's no reason not to.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
      X