jcm 800 tubes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcm 800 tubes???

what tubes originally came in a 2204? (year:1982) i have 6550's in mine now . are these good enough ? they seem to be .
    john

Re: jcm 800 tubes???

Originally posted by paultelestrat
    what tubes originally came in a 2204? (year:1982) i have 6550's in mine now . are these good enough ? they seem to be .
    Marshall used 6550s for USA and Canadian amps from the mid 70s until 1986 due to EL34s being to fragile to make the trip overseas. They were able to get a more rugged EL34 in 1986 and switched back.

EL34s are THE tube for the Marshall sound, but 6550s are good too. Slayer, Zack Wylde and Trey Azagatoth (Morbid Angel) all use 6550s in their Marshalls. I just put a pair of the New Sensor Mullard EL34s in my 1982 2204 and they sound great.

Cheers,

CJ
    www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

The USA bound 800s came with 6550s because these tubes were "supposedly"more reliable in the states,but the true Marshall tone(to me)is all about the EL34 tubes..
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Most times I think I'm the only dummy who likes 6550s in my Marshall. I've owned amps with both types of tubes, and to me it's a different variation on the same theme. I still have the 6550s in my Marshall, and I have no plans to take out the EL-34s in my Park.
        *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
        Originally posted by Slash2987
        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
        Originally posted by PVFan
        I'm a good sex man.
        Originally posted by Grumpy
        I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
          Most times I think I'm the only dummy who likes 6550s in my Marshall. I've owned amps with both types of tubes, and to me it's a different variation on the same theme. I still have the 6550s in my Marshall, and I have no plans to take out the EL-34s in my Park.
          Actually there are and were quite a few "Pros" that used or are still using the 6550 tubes...Zakk for one and I've read that Jimi did also? Like everything.different strokes...A die hard late 60s and early 70s Classic Rock guy like myself wouldn't use anything other than the EL34s....Well ok,most of us! LOL
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I should check my early 80's Canadian issue 2204 head and see what is in it for tubes... the thing has been thru hell and modded... i have not been using it as i have been holding onto it until i can get it to a tech to do a good make over on it and return it to stock...... It's been sitting here for about a year un-used as it has too much noise....

WHOFAN

Comment

HA HA!! I´m in Europe, Mine had EL-34s

BTW, the camp can be set up /biased to swallow EL-34, 6550, and even 6L6 (like I had mine for a while)
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

More glass means more power!

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                Originally posted by Slash2987
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                Originally posted by PVFan
                I'm a good sex man.
                Originally posted by Grumpy
                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I really like JJ E-34L's for 50W Marshalls, since it broadens the sound to be more like 100W tone. I still like EL-34's for 100W amps though, since you don't need that added headroom that E-34L's or 6550's supply. That's just what I've found in the Marshalls I've had.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                    I really like JJ E-34L's for 50W Marshalls, since it broadens the sound to be more like 100W tone. I still like EL-34's for 100W amps though, since you don't need that added headroom that E-34L's or 6550's supply. That's just what I've found in the Marshalls I've had.
                    Yep, that's exactly the tubes I have in mine... I just love 'em...

Comment

I have a 1984 2203 that originally had 6550s in it. It had a nice 80s/modern rock thing going on but it did lack a little something. I had it converted to EL34s and now it sounds like a Marshall should.

The EL34s were a big improvement.
                      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

thanks everybody for chiming in.i'm pretty content with the sound i'm getting now , but consensus of all of you here would be to give a try.i'll need to get it biased after that ,right? is this something i could handle myself? i own a quality D.V.O.M. and i'm a mechanic.i spoke with WATTAGE and he just did one and said it was easy.
                        john

Comment

Working...
                        X