Battery sag/rectifier sag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery sag/rectifier sag?

I just read a thread that mentioned the "battery sag" thing, relative to an effects pedal. I've seen this mentioned before and it reminded me that Jack Orman has a circuit that simulates that function. My lil ole technical brain doesn't get this. Can someone explain the benefit of a dying battery to tone please?

And, if you feel talkative, rectifier sag also. (In a tube amp.)

Thanks.
    Artie

Re: Battery sag/rectifier sag?

There's no such thing as a perfect voltage source. Any voltage source can be modeled as a "perfect" voltage with a series resistance. As the current drawn from the source increases, the voltage drop across this series resistance increases, having the outward effect of causing the terminal voltage (to the load) to sag.

Old-fashioned (or simply old, worn-out) batteries exhibit higher series resistance, and therefore sag more with load than do new-fangled, fresh alkaline batteries.

Similarly, tube rectifiers exhibit a voltage drop that increases with load. So, as you play louder, the amp draws more current, and the B+ sags. Solid-state recifiers exhibit a fairly constant voltage drop regardless of load, up until you fry them. So, SS recifiers don't sag appreciably. A cheap and dirty way of simulating tube-recto sag with SS-recto reliabilty is to stick a power resistor ~100 ohms in series with the amps B+ supply.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      I just read a thread that mentioned the "battery sag" thing, relative to an effects pedal. I've seen this mentioned before and it reminded me that Jack Orman has a circuit that simulates that function. My lil ole technical brain doesn't get this. Can someone explain the benefit of a dying battery to tone please?

And, if you feel talkative, rectifier sag also. (In a tube amp.)

Thanks.
      Artie
      It's hard to explain really,but it is something that is true...Basically it's just the effect working differently due to an "overall" lowering of the working voltages inside the pedal...I'm not Eric Johnson,but I too have experimented with Alkaline vs carbon batteries and it's effects on effects! The carbon battery offers a larger or higher output voltage and sometimes I feel like the carbon batteries make things warmer or sweeter...I trust my ears on these findings though!

I find in a Tube Screamer that the pedal is smoother and sweeter sounding when the voltage is at or around 9 volts...At higher voltages the same pedal is a bit harsher,not as smooth,and has slightly more overall output and is tighter sounding...Almost like the differences I hear between ss and tube rectifiers in the same amp,but not as extreme...I had a Dual Rec Mesa Tremoverb and I use this as my reference...
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

This is interesting. Would this affect be different if I just dialed the voltage down to 6 - 8 volts?

Comment

This is interesting. Would this affect be different if I just dialed the voltage down to 6 - 8 volts?
          Below 9 volts things start getting bad overall in the tone and feel dept.,but you can experiment?
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Rich's explanation was good from a technical point of view, but I think I knew that part. I meant more in terms of how it "improved" tone. Why is it desirable?

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              It's hard to explain really,but it is something that is true...Basically it's just the effect working differently due to an "overall" lowering of the working voltages inside the pedal...
              Cool. I may have to build Jack's circuit, and play with this.

Comment

Well Thomas (my productionchief)and me have been playing with a voltage regulator for the plexi, for those who wanted more swamp than glass

Comment

Rich's explanation was good from a technical point of view, but I think I knew that part. I meant more in terms of how it "improved" tone. Why is it desirable?
                  Rich's explanation is excellent for us techie nerd guys! Yep...

Comment

O.K. here's the not so technicial explaintion. According to Producer Tom Dowd. He claims that while a session guy in Mussel Shoals,Duane Allman use to collect dying 9v batteries. He would put them in his fuzz device with it off,And then crank his Twin. The dying battery created for lack of a better word (A Buffer between the Guitar and amp. I imagine this way he could crank the amp and get cranked tone without blowing everyone over.
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                    X