Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rid is a freakin genius

Originally posted by JeffB
    Thanks..I def will play with it. Could very well be my amp. I did notice it was quite sensitive to knob changes (especially the gain controls).

BTW>.do you remember how you had yours set for the 800 style tones?
    Okay, I pulled out the 59 clone today and here were the setting for the JCM800 sound I used. Boost 0, Level whatever you need, Tone 1:00, High Gain was 3:00, Crunch 0.

Click on Drive and Select switches.

On the amp I had bass at 4, Treble at 6, Mid at 10, Presence 10. Sounded great. Really had to spend a few moment dialing in that tone as the pedal tends to cause this amp to get flabby. Once dialed in, tight as can be. Was getting the typical Plexi tones with the same amp settings and using the crunch at about 1:00 while turning off the high gain and clicking off select. Seriously cool pedal.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
      Okay, I pulled out the 59 clone today and here were the setting for the JCM800 sound I used. Boost 0, Level whatever you need, Tone 1:00, High Gain was 3:00, Crunch 0.

Click on Drive and Select switches.

On the amp I had bass at 4, Treble at 6, Mid at 10, Presence 10. Sounded great. Really had to spend a few moment dialing in that tone as the pedal tends to cause this amp to get flabby. Once dialed in, tight as can be. Was getting the typical Plexi tones with the same amp settings and using the crunch at about 1:00 while turning off the high gain and clicking off select. Seriously cool pedal.
      Thank You. I'll put it through the paces this weekend!
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Now is there any progress??

Comment

I second the fact that RID is a genious as both an FX technician/innovator, but also as a creative guitar player with skills. Glad to have him back on the forum!
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Where can I get one of these Pedals?!?!

Comment

I wasn't able to get to the music store and try any different amps with it. But I did play with it a bit friday night with more volume through my Rivera. You are right, Rid... the louder the better (isn't that the way with any Marshall )

I think the thing holding me back from more "agressive" sounds with the Plexi/Rivera combo are the 59s in my Hamer. They are just too "twangy" through this combination (amp and ped). However, I def got it dialed in to more of a metal-face/early JMP like tone. Not as authentic as it will do a plexi, but damn good, nonetheless.

I prefer the crunch channel over the high gain channel tonally..it's less compressed..more open...and the amount of gain available is quite similar.

regardless..it's a GREAT pedal. I can't recommend it highly enough. I made a couple clips, but i have such a poor recording setup, I felt it wasn't doing the pedal justice. I'll see if I can get something better recorded in the next few days.

I got mine through Musician's Friend, Stratcat.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Hehe great...well it is not the pedal that is compressed...it is your amp getting a hard time, that od thing has headroom in spades.
                And thanks a bunch for the kind words all of you, I am just trying to make it work the best way possible with what I got

Comment

Maybe because it could work if he used JCM800

Comment

Well as I have said earlier it just ads the bite and the lowend close to a Marshall, the amp is the foundation of the sound, just treat the drive as it was the amps own dirt

Comment

Originally posted by gOgIver
                      If this is the case, may I ask as to why you picked up a Plexi-Tone instead of going for one of the "JCM 800 in a box" type pedals out there?
                      Valid question.

I had been very impressed with the authenticity of tone I'd heard in Steve's clips. I've not heard a pedal that really does sound as close to a real marshall as this one. However, I can't say I know of any pedals that try to exactly emulate an 800, either.

I'd also hoped with it's high gain channel, it would get me in the ballpark of the JMP/800 amps (honestly the crunch channel will). I think it's capable as I said, just that my pups (or the amp itself) are holding me back from getting the tones in my head I need to hear. My Pod XTL/Atomic does give me the exact tones I want...however, I have so much more flexibility with a built in parametric EQ, and the ability to work with different speaker models (the 75W celestions are key for the POD XTL). But it also doesn't have the dynamics and "real amp" feel of the plexi-tone.

Regardless, financially, and space-wise I have to make a decision one way or the other soon. I can't keep both amp setups as much as I would like to. I've got a tough choice to make.

Comment

Go with what gives you the best feel...no matter what they may be.
                        It is what really matters, we always sound the way we do, not much can change that
                        Well some are trying to buy the sound...but ends up sounding like themselves anyways

Comment

Is this the Carl Martin Plexitone you're talking about? I was thinking of getting a Marshall Jackhammer but............GASSSSS.................

DUH, I just saw a link in RID's sig.
                          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

clip is up for anyone who cares....

tips and clips section...

Comment

Working...
                            X