banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between Power Tubes in tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Power Tubes in tone?

Hey all, I was just wondering, what are the tonal differences between EL34 tubes and 6V6 power tubes? What tube would be a kind of midway between these two in terms of tone? Thanks!

-Corbic
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Re: Differences between Power Tubes in tone?

I'm not a pro on that, but El34 are Marshall tone and 6V6 are Mesa (I think it's Mesa)

hope that helps a bit...

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

The EL34 is a classic "british" tube and the 6V6 is classic small wattage Fender tubes....The 6V6 might be closer in tone to the EL84s though?
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I think that EL34 has a more midrange characteristic in comparison to 6v6, which has bassier and more treble sound. However, the difference is not as apparent as playing with an EQ, but you can hear it.

Comment

Working...
        X