banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have gone to The Dark Side...bought a transistor amp yesterday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have gone to The Dark Side...bought a transistor amp yesterday!

Heh Heh Heh...Yup, got a Randall RG100SC, 2x12 stereo chorus amp. This sucker has nice over the top crunch, and more thump definition at lower volumes than other amps...tube or solid state under $500. There is NO "amp modeling" on this amp, and the stereo chorus is very mild, so it does not give the amp an "over stompboxed" tone.

I tried all the tube combo models below $800 I could find, and only the B-52 AT-100 could spank this amp from low levels and beyond. The Peavy Valveking, The Randall RG50TC. These amps were definitely more sweet/buttery on the single string runs and extended upper fret string decays, but I was looking to overhaul my tone with a guitar/amp using "D", and "D w/drop C tunings". This Randall simply has the punch on the bottom to work my with Epi LP with 10-52's.

The largest room I will ever play in is an empty garage sized room or open patio at friends homes. And there, The Dark Side sounds pretty good!

Re: I have gone to The Dark Side...bought a transistor amp yesterday!

Tube or SS? Who cares....

"If it sounds good,it is good" I love and use both tube and SS stuff. I still prefer the feel of a tube amp but the Valvetronix Vox amp is pretty cool also and it gets the job done for me.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Right on Sr. Strat, I just got off on the first time I ever pushed this amp in my house...I swear the tones are really awesome! I actually am experiencing some hearing dullness from the onslasught.

This is also a HUGE personal vote for Gibson's Tony Iommi Signature model pickup in the bridge postion! This pickup is not the most brash pickup I have ever heard by a long shot. The Gibson Tony Iommi Signature pickup is howl and squeel-free beyond anything I have ever played! This is an awesome pickup that is not ice-picky, nor weak....with well defined lows/mids/highs. Gibson has a winner here. From what I gather on the Gibby website...this pickup started its life before the Tony Iommi Signature SG! All I can tell you is that is does not suffer a bit in a Korean Epi Les Paul!

Comment

Originally posted by Sludgenutz
        Right on Sr. Strat, I just got off on the first time I ever pushed this amp in my house...I swear the tones are really awesome! I actually am experiencing some hearing dullness from the onslasught.

This is also a HUGE personal vote for Gibson's Tony Iommi Signature model pickup in the bridge postion! This pickup is not the most brash pickup I have ever heard by a long shot. The Gibson Tony Iommi Signature pickup is howl and squeel-free beyond anything I have ever played! This is an awesome pickup that is not ice-picky, nor weak....with well defined lows/mids/highs. Gibson has a winner here. From what I gather on the Gibby website...this pickup started its life before the Tony Iommi Signature SG! All I can tell you is that is does not suffer a bit in a Korean Epi Les Paul!
        I Love tube amps and I've been playing through tube amps for 30 years...I like to stay open minded about gear and technology also...Some of the die hard in the wool tube amp guys just can't figure out that technology is getting scaringly close now and that the gap is narrowing....I can speak from both sides of the fence,simply because I use both technologies...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I gotta be honest. I was quite impressed with the Roland I played at GC today... It looked just like the JC-120, but was a smaller 80 watt combo. It sounded mighty fine for a SS!!!!
          I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent
            I gotta be honest. I was quite impressed with the Roland I played at GC today... It looked just like the JC-120, but was a smaller 80 watt combo. It sounded mighty fine for a SS!!!!
            And here comes another plug for the Vox Valvetronix 120 watt VT head into a V30 2x12 or 4x12 cab for greatness!

Comment

I used to be a tube snob. Now i just want an amp to sound good, it can be filled with tapioca for all I care.
              Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Randalls are good enough for drop tuners like Sevendust, if I were playing heavy rock or metal, I'd probably be getting one myself (I've always thought they had great tone with their Epi Les Pauls through their Randall solid state half stacks).
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Though I prefer tubes for the tones I seek, SS can sound pretty good. I've been pretty impressed with Peavey's SS stuff for the past few years.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                  My Music

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    "If it sounds good,it is good"
                    Hey, you stole "Mario's law", LOL.
                    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
                    X