Overdrive/Distortion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive/Distortion question

Alright, I'm looking for a great overdrive/distortion to drive the front-end of a tube amp. I've heard alot of people talk about the DS-1, however I've also heard that the newer ones aren't as good as the older ones. I play metal/progressive(ala Tool, Dream Theater, Michael Angelo, Rush, Black Label, etc.), any suggestions as to what pedal I need to get? I'm looking at mainly using it as a solo boost, and maybe during heavier parts of some songs. Thanks!

Re: Overdrive/Distortion question

I like my TS-9 a lot for solo boosts. Has a very smooth character that seems to enhance your mids for great cut.
    It lacks a little bit in the bass department (unless you play real loud) in stock form. Needs a few mods (chip, caps, resistors) to live up to it's real potential.

If you really want a great pedal, get the Silver Dragon. Best OD/Dist. I ever heard out of a box. Really natural that blends in the amp sound seamlessly. (sp?) Needs something better than the stock tube though.

A Boss SD-1 is great too for a little more 'hair' on your tone. The assymetrical (sp?) clipping makes it sound tight and agressive.
    I think Zakk Wylde used one of these for some time and that's where the MXR signature was based on. I could be wrong on this one though. Great pedal but on the bright side.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffR12345
      Alright, I'm looking for a great overdrive/distortion to drive the front-end of a tube amp. I've heard alot of people talk about the DS-1, however I've also heard that the newer ones aren't as good as the older ones. I play metal/progressive(ala Tool, Dream Theater, Michael Angelo, Rush, Black Label, etc.), any suggestions as to what pedal I need to get? I'm looking at mainly using it as a solo boost, and maybe during heavier parts of some songs. Thanks!
      Get yourself a good deal on a Boss SD1 and send it to me...We can get you a nice round clean boost and a crunchy "Plexi" Marshall type tone out of it and you can read some reviews via a search

Please PM me if you have any questions.
      Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 11-28-2005, 06:12 PM.
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Actually, I'd say go with the Boss OS-2, it's got both, you can mix the both of them. See Boss OS-2 Product Detail
        My Music Page
        Originally posted by vinterland
        I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
        Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

i personally like the MXR wylde overdrive...its awesome cause its an overdrive but its got that nice boost of distoron so it mixes real nice

Comment

I like the Silver Dragon ...

http://www.usd.edu/~dpietrza/Music/silverdragon.mp3

Tonebone is a great one as well.

But trust your ears.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
              Get yourself a good deal on a Boss SD1 and send it to me...We can get you a nice round clean boost and a crunchy "Plexi" Marshall type tone out of it and you can read some reviews via a search

Please PM me if you have any questions.
              +1 The clips I've heard are mind blowing. Very Marshall-y

Comment

I Would Suggest Getting Both A Sd-1 And Tube Screamer Modded By John,,,,,well Worth The Money And Your Tone!!

Chris
                "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Boss SD-1 or Digitech Bad Monkey. I have a bad monkey and very happy with it. But since u play metal u may not like it so much.
                  sigpic
                  Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                  JFG Flying V,
                  "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                  John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

I think I'm just gonna pick up a SD-1 and send it off to John, I'm still waiting on clips so I can hear what these things sound like after the mod. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I think I'm just gonna pick up a SD-1 and send it off to John, I'm still waiting on clips so I can hear what these things sound like after the mod. Thanks for all your help!
                      Curly had some sound samples...Check out his website.
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Holy Jesus! John's pedals sound awesome! You guys sold me on 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by SOLO GUITAR STEWIE
                          I Would Suggest Getting Both A Sd-1 And Tube Screamer Modded By John,,,,,well Worth The Money And Your Tone!!

Chris
                          +1

You really need to boost the SD-1 with a Tube Screamer.
                          Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                          VHT 2502
                          (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                          (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                          Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                          Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                          http://www.robertkeeley.com
                          Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                          Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

My favorite boost is still a Boss EQ pedal with the level turned up. The Analog Man TS-9 is close second if I need more grind on chords and sometimes I use both of 'em together and kick on a fuzz pedal for those really bomabstic moments.
                            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                            mixer|producer|recordist
                            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by Burkwieser
                              +1 You really need to boost the SD-1 with a Tube Screamer.
                              I'd rather use a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver to simulate a tube sound, and/or amplify another pedal, but hey, it's just my preference. I like the BD-2 overdrive much more than other pedals because of the way it reacts to individual strings versus double-stops. But hey, to each their own
                              My Music Page
                              Originally posted by vinterland
                              I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
                              Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Working...
                              X