Need more headroom, Scotty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more headroom, Scotty!

Have Fender Hotrods and they have a killer clean tone. But up around 4 at gigs, the power tubes start to break up.

I understand the KT88 are hard to reach break-up and am wondering if you can replace the 6L6's in the Hotrods with them -- or any other ideas to mod the amp for more headroom.
    Generic signature line.

Re: Need more headroom, Scotty!

After 4, it's likely that half that breakup you're talking about is the speakers hitting their peak handling. If you switched amps, the loudest and cleanest I've heard is the Bassbreaker and discontinued Fender CS Dual Professional.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I know KT-88's sub for 6550's Off hand I don't know if they will go in a 6L6 amp without issuse? I would try changing the preamp tubes 1st. Any amp I have that I feel needs some clean headroom .I put a 5751 in VI. Also as GJer'
      suggested. Try a more Efficeant speaker. Like a Weber California series.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Came across this on the net when I was answering a question for Scott.
        It may help

Comment

My clean channel for ages has been a Peavey Classic 50 head into a little Marshall 1912 1x12 cab with a 150 watt speaker... talk about headroom.... that 150 watt speaker takes a lickin and the 50 watt head hardly breaks up until really pushed...

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
            I know KT-88's sub for 6550's Off hand I don't know if they will go in a 6L6 amp without issuse? I would try changing the preamp tubes 1st. Any amp I have that I feel needs some clean headroom .I put a 5751 in VI. Also as GJer'
            suggested. Try a more Efficeant speaker. Like a Weber California series.
            It's power tube distortion that I'm getting, or possibly the speakers as suggested, but definitely not the preamp tubes.

I've already switched out the 12AX7's for AT7's.
            Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun
              Have Fender Hotrods and they have a killer clean tone. But up around 4 at gigs, the power tubes start to break up.

I understand the KT88 are hard to reach break-up and am wondering if you can replace the 6L6's in the Hotrods with them -- or any other ideas to mod the amp for more headroom.
              4 on a hot rod clean? How are you not deaf?
              teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

Working...
              X