GT 12AX7 Mullard in the Valvetronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT 12AX7 Mullard in the Valvetronics

I was playing around this afternoon and figured that I would try out that GT12ax7m that I just got for the Silvertone in my AD60H. Holy moly! I thought that the amp sounded good before with the JJ, it is head and shoulders above with the GT. I didn't think that it would make that drastic of a difference with a good quality tube in there already. I know that there can be subtle differences in various tubes with the shootout that I posted a couple of weeks ago. But this is a major change in tone. It is smoother, more depth, more complex. Wow, I'm going to have to get another one for the silvertone now because this one is staying in the Vox.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Re: GT 12AX7 Mullard in the Valvetronics

Just tried the JJ in the Silvertone and it is quite a bit gainier than the GT, in a good way though.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

That's one reason I like the Vox stuff more than the L6. A good tube just adds that warmth and compression that you don't get in 100% solid state.
      I think I have a new Tungsol 12AX7 in mine.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        That's one reason I like the Vox stuff more than the L6. A good tube just adds that warmth and compression that you don't get in 100% solid state.
        I think I have a new Tungsol 12AX7 in mine.
        And I have a pair of NOS RCAs in mine! My amp sounds great also!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Since I got my GT Mullard I've heard lots of horror stories about reliability. Mine has been great though, J.
          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
            Since I got my GT Mullard I've heard lots of horror stories about reliability. Mine has been great though, J.
            Yep....And it's the sole reason I haven't spent the incredible amount of asked money for those tubes!
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I hadn't heard that yet, hopefully that isn't that case with my tube. So far so good and GREAT tone.

Comment

After going through my small collection of AT7's and AX7's I settled for an old Fender grey plate 7025 for the Silvertone.....smooth! Seems to match the amp well.

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
                  I hadn't heard that yet, hopefully that isn't that case with my tube. So far so good and GREAT tone.
                  Hopefully you'll never have a problem with your's Ryan,but I also have read some reliability issues with these GT tubes....I know I read mention of them on the FDP(Fender Discussion Pages) for starters..

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
                    After going through my small collection of AT7's and AX7's I settled for an old Fender grey plate 7025 for the Silvertone.....smooth! Seems to match the amp well.
                    I use 12AX7 RCA grey plates in both my Vox and in my Cyber Twin and in my BF Fender combos,though I think I also have some Black Plate AX7s in there too? Either way,I like the RCAs...They sound good(warm,round)and they've been very reliable in every amp! Tone is number 1 but reliability is number 1A

Comment

I recently ordered a couple of the GT12ax7M's from the factory- well, both were bad right out of the box- one had a loud ticking sound, the other was just plain noisy- I called GT, sent them back, and they sent me two more- and both have been great, sound great, and had no problems at all, they sound better than the Philips NOS tubes I had in there- I'm sold on the GT's. I do recommend that you pay a little extra for the SAG models, as they have been hand selected and tested.
                      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

you guys are really selling me on getting an ad120 head. stop it LOL.

-Mike
                        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE
                          you guys are really selling me on getting an ad120 head. stop it LOL.

-Mike
                          You mean the VT Valvetronix 120 watt stereo head? Right?

Mike.....Trust my ears on this amp.....It's a very cool amp,and I Love mine,plus I do get great tones out of it into some Vintage 30s...
                          Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 12-01-2005, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I've had no problems with my GT-M copies. I think that Todd at Revolution tests them out before he sent them to me. Buying from a good dealer will weed out a lot of unnecessary hassles. I will pretty much only buy JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes because I've never gotten a dud from him. I"ve gotten a couple of JJ duds from Mojo. I don't think they test them out.

GT-M's are great when you want to smooth out and amp or tame the high end a bit. I put them into my Two Rock and the amp got too lifeless. Put them into a Tweed 30 watter and they sound incredible.

JJ's or Chinese when it comes to hard rocking amps where you want more gain, more of an edge.

Oh and this JJ ECC830S is one FANTASTIC tube! Longplate copy (Telefunken?) Andy at Mojo had negative experience with the ones he sold out, but I think that Eurotubes weeds out the off spec ones. I"m not sure if Todd/REvolution sells them or not.

I've got a trio of them in the Franklin and I couldn't be happier. that is the stock tube on the Franklin. All new production JJ's in that amp. Why? I'm convinced that I need to sell an amp that sounds great with new production tubes. If someone want to experiement, that's fine. I just don't want someone to have to buy a $75 preamp tube to make their amp sound good again.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I've had a pair of the GT12AX7M's for a year or so now, first in my Orange AD15 and now in my '54 tweed Deluxe, wiht no problems and great tones. Scott F's description corresponds exactly with my experience. It's amazing how much difference in tone can come from different 12AX7's -- not as dramatic as different speakers, but definitely noticeable.

Comment

Working...
                              X