Speaker Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Cable

What do you run from your line out plug on your head to the amp cabinet itself? Is it an ordinary instrument cable or do you need a dedicated chord for this duty? Just curious as I don't have a seperate amp and cabinet yet and may need this info one day...

Re: Speaker Cable

You have to use speaker wire to connect the main out of the amp to a speaker cabnet. Using an instrument cable can damage your head.

The line out is different than the main out and usually requires an instrument (sheilded) cable of some sort.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

On my main amp, I have 3' Monster speaker cable, but I've found that you can get good/cheap speaker cables of all sizes from Carvin. I use those gray Carvin speaker cables for studio monitors, PA system, and general purpose.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I've always wondered about that. Why did they make the cables look the same? That's always bugged me quite a bit. Should have made one of the ends female or different at least...

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
          Thanks for the responses guys. I've always wondered about that. Why did they make the cables look the same? That's always bugged me quite a bit. Should have made one of the ends female or different at least...
          This not always the case. I use an old Ernie Ball (?) speaker cable with Switchcraft plugs and unplated brass conductor tips. The actual wire is 18 gauge "lamp cord". It looks very different from a regular shielded cord...and is less than 6 feet long.

Comment

3' Monster Cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              3' Monster speaker cable
              Ditto

Comment

I get 6' Horizon cables at Music Go Round. IIRC, they're outrageously priced at ~$8
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

I've made them out of 16 gauge lamp cord... The speaker cable I use with my guitar rig is an old 14 gauge cable with the huge Switchcraft ends- the other one is 16 gauge lamp cord. The cable for my bass rigs are just some old 18 gauge speaker cables that I replaced one of the 1/4" ends with banana jacks- as well as some 18 gauge cables with Switchcraft ends- then the 16 or so gauge Speakon cable with Neutrik ends.

I've heard you don't want to use anything less than 18 gauge- I haven't and I've never had a problem. I've also heard you don't want to use anything bigger than 12. You do NOT want to use a shielded instrument cable.
                  *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                  Originally posted by Slash2987
                  Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                  Originally posted by PVFan
                  I'm a good sex man.
                  Originally posted by Grumpy
                  I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I had no idea there were different cables for this job! (you are taling about the lead going from a head into a speaker cab yeh?) Dont worry, I don't own a stack, so I haven't been ruining anything!

What are the visible differences between the two? What damage does it cause? Is there an audible difference?
                    Danny Jenkins
                    Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
                    motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by ShredFetus
                      What are the visible differences between the two? What damage does it cause? Is there an audible difference?
                      The visual difference is on the lead. Unscrew the cover from the jack, you'll see the hot lead is the short end and the ground is the long end. Where the ground goes into the insulation, it should be going into a tube of insulation then into the outer insulation. An instrument cable will have the ground turning into a braid that wraps around the inner conductor.
                      *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                      Originally posted by Slash2987
                      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                      Originally posted by PVFan
                      I'm a good sex man.
                      Originally posted by Grumpy
                      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Boy am I glad I decided to ask this question. Might have just saved quite a few output trannies in the process of clearing up my ignorance.

Comment

Most companies use cable that specifies 'speaker', if you look at the sides of the cable. Regular guitar cords are usually plain with no lettering.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

THE REASON YOU NEED A REAL SPEAKER CABLE......

The current carrying capacity of any shielded cord is limited by the thin center conductor! It matters not whether a shielded cord is a six-lane-wide highway bundle of gold wire. If the center conductor is a few eyelashes in diameter...all that other material matters NOT!

Comment

Yikes, that is some big type! Will constrain in the future!

Comment

Working...
                              X