mesa 20/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mesa 20/20

anyone know how much these bad boys go for at GC?

also, i've heard that the markup on mesa products from factory cost is only somewhere around 10%....is this true?
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Re: mesa 20/20

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule
    anyone know how much these bad boys go for at GC?

also, i've heard that the markup on mesa products from factory cost is only somewhere around 10%....is this true?
    That's a great power amp! Is Mesa still "currently" making that unit or do you have to find a used one off E Bay etc?That's an older power amp!

I guess they do still sell this one! Cool..

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 12-01-2005, 07:30 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

you beat me to the site...it's still listed there though, so i would assume it's still in production?

i've seen them going on ebay in the $500-600 range, but i can't say i've ever seen them in stores (although i must admit, i've never actually been looking out for one).

i'm just trying to get an idea of how much i'd have to pay for a new one. i've got my eye on the marshall jmp-1 preamp too, and at a store price of $1200, that means i could get one from GC for $600-700 (hehehe). i'm not sure what would be a better deal for the poweramp though, ebay or GC (if they still sell them).
      gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
      marshall 1960A 4x12
      and a few pedals

Comment

The 20/20 has been my power amp for 4-5 years now. It's a great amp! It's very loud for a 20 watter.
        !

Comment

I had one for a couple of weeks. It's a very good sounding power section, and it's loud for 40 watts, but in my case, I need more headroom and bottom end. That's why I switched to a 50:50, and am thinking of upgrading to a Simul 90.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
            I had one for a couple of weeks. It's a very good sounding power section, and it's loud for 40 watts, but in my case, I need more headroom and bottom end. That's why I switched to a 50:50, and am thinking of upgrading to a Simul 90.
            just out of curiousity, did you need more headroom so you could turn it up louder, or to play cleaner? does EL84 power really lack that much bottom end, even if played into a good 4x12?
            gear:

marshall 1960A 4x12
            and a few pedals

Comment

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule
              just out of curiousity, did you need more headroom so you could turn it up louder, or to play cleaner? does EL84 power really lack that much bottom end, even if played into a good 4x12?

I play through a pair of 2x12" cabs. The only reason I went with the 50:50 is because I run a GT-8 as a preamp, so I preffer the least amount of distortion from theh power section as possible. I still like the tube coloration, but I like it to be clean.

As far as the bottom goes, I preffer a bigger and tighter bottom than the EL's provide. I guess my ears just like the sound of 6L6's.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                I play through a pair of 2x12" cabs. The only reason I went with the 50:50 is because I run a GT-8 as a preamp, so I preffer the least amount of distortion from theh power section as possible. I still like the tube coloration, but I like it to be clean.

As far as the bottom goes, I preffer a bigger and tighter bottom than the EL's provide. I guess my ears just like the sound of 6L6's.

thats cool, sounds like you have a very nice setup going there!

i absolutely love the sound of EL34 tubes being overdriven, but unfortunately at half the venues i've played at, the soundguys get very unhappy when you turn it up to that point. this is what made me think of the 20/20. when i build my rack, i'd be able to get a (similar?) tone and breakup at lower levels. or would i be better off with the 2:50? (correct me if i'm wrong, but the 2:50 has the 6L6/EL34 switch, doesn't it?)
                gear:

marshall 1960A 4x12
                and a few pedals

Comment

I think my rig is finally coming together.

Honestly, you might be happier with the 20:20 if you want to really cook the tubes.
                  ä

Comment

Since the closest GC to me is approx. 350 miles, I wouldn't know what 20/20's to for new.

Via ebay, you can snag one anywhere from $350-700. You just have to utilize your patience gene.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                      You just have to utilize your patience gene.
                      wise words

unfortunately, that's the toughest aspect of the game
                      gear:

marshall 1960A 4x12
                      and a few pedals

Comment

Working...
                      X