Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply Choice

Part 2 of pedalboard design: power supply

I'm using a Visual Sounds One Spot right now. Somebody wrote that there could be problems using a single One Spot both for pedals in front of the amp and for the pedals in the effects loop, so maybe getting a second one is the cheap solution to my noise problem.

Then again, this house seems to have "dirty" power. Plugged straight into the Blues Jr., I get much more 60 cycle hum than my old house and have some noise even with humbuckers. (This is regardless of whether the guitar is shielded or not - 2 out of 3 are heavily shielded.) The electrician told me it was probably a crappy transformer on a pole behind the house. Everything electrical is overhead and 50 years old in the neighborhood.

So, should I:

1) buy a Dunlop DC Brick ($99);
    2) buy a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 ($169); or
    3) try running AC through a computer-type power conditioner (or UPS) and using One Spots.

BTW - no fancy pedals with odd voltage or other special needs.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Re: Power Supply Choice

Hm. First, I would test the pedal board in a more friendly environment. I have lived in houses that had 2-wire outlets. I have lived in others that the 3-wire setup was questionable.

Resolve the pedal board power first, then find a way to make it work in the house.
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Get the DC Brick if you don't need the power sagging feature. I have one.

Comment

I'll tell you this...I just finished my pedalboard after lots of shopping for both a board AND a power supply...I ended up with a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power II plus. This thing will power both PSA and ACA Boss pedals, DOD pedals, my Expandora, both 9 and 18volt Dunlop pedals, All new EH pedals (including the Holy Grail), all reissue as well as original MXR pedals, Line 6 Pedals (the big units as well as the smaller ones), the list goes on...in fact the ONLY pedal it will not power is a Digi Tech Whammy Pedal...I just plug it into the outlet! I also really like the "sag" features...I run the control down just a tad on my Rat and down a little more on my Tweak Fuzz...really cool feature! I know it's pretty costly compared to all the other units out there but it is WELL worth it in my opinion.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Chris, that sag feature sounds interesting. Can you explain it a bit more? I mean, I know what it does but what kind of voltage range does it have?
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

The sag control goes from around 4 to 9 volts...with distortion and fuzz boxes it actually makes more distortion with a lower voltage but it has a different feel as well as it changes he EQ a tad...I actually like it quite a bit.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
            X