Marshall JCM800 2204?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM800 2204?

So been lookin for a new 50watt amp. I have a Fender Telecaster MIM with a Hotstack in the bridge Vintage Stack in the neck, that I would not give up for the life of me. The tone I am looking for is pretty Diverse, kind of a gritty Country Classic rock light distortion able to rock out. The new Marshalls(JCM2000 Dsl) and Mesas seem too have no soul (if you understand what I am saying). If I had to name a band that has the tone I am going for would have to phish.
    Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Re: Marshall JCM800 2204?

Sounds to me a JTM 45 maybe what you want? It can handle light dist. tones well and when pushed... Will ROCK OUT !
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I owned a DSL401. It seemed and sounded good to me. even the MESA F30 sounded real good to me. I haven't been expose to many amps yet, the best of which is the Fender Twin and Mesa dual rectifier.

I own a JCM800 lead combo, 50watts tube. The clean is good, you can turn on the gain all the way up to 7 and you won't get the overdrive sound and the clean is just clean. The distortion is just like another Marshall amp, crunchy and punching. My sucks here because the treble and bass knobs are spoilt.
      Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
      Gibson 1959 reissue
      Gibson 1960 reissue
      Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

I was thinking JTM or JMP, a little more vintage tone I would guess. I have played both a JMP and a JCM800 in a store, couldnt really crank it though, the owner is an ass. I think the JTM is only 30 Watts, would that be enough for a small set and power a 4x12 Cab with celestion vintage 30's, this would be my first tube amp. I currently have a crappy crate 212 120watt and it is way to much. Also, I would like to get my hands on an original

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRose
          I haven't been expose to many amps yet, the best of which is the Fender Twin and Mesa dual rectifier.
          yeah my brother has a fender twin, I love it but can't get the gain i like from it, I am pretty much a plug the guitar straight into the amp. I hate pedals.

Comment

yeah man. The Twin has a good clean, but the distortion is as good as a mild blues overdrive
            Well, i think Fender amps should be single channel
            Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
            Gibson 1959 reissue
            Gibson 1960 reissue
            Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

yeah man. The Twin has a good clean, but the distortion is as good as a mild blues overdrive
              Word,

I just want somethin like that fender tone that is able to crunch, with out any pedals.

Comment

Well Trey used a pair of blackface Deluxes with Phish. A Deleuxe Reverb reissue would give you Fender sound, but without being as loud as a Twin.

The JMP and JCM800 Marshalls are great amps, but a different beast. Stay away from the JTM's - too much stuff packed into a little tiny chassis means overheating and reliability problems.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Here's a good question...

A friend has a Blonde Showman, he runs the input into 1 on the Normal Channel, then runs a jumper from 2 into the 1 the Vibrato Channel. The effect is the same as a Master Volume. I'm wishing I would have kept my old '66 Showman- but can that be done on a Twin as well? (Blackface or newer)
                  *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                  Originally posted by Slash2987
                  Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                  Originally posted by PVFan
                  I'm a good sex man.
                  Originally posted by Grumpy
                  I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
                    Here's a good question...

A friend has a Blonde Showman, he runs the input into 1 on the Normal Channel, then runs a jumper from 2 into the 1 the Vibrato Channel. The effect is the same as a Master Volume. I'm wishing I would have kept my old '66 Showman- but can that be done on a Twin as well? (Blackface or newer)
                    I had a 77' Twin that I used a A/B box to use both channels. It never really sounded that good? Someone told me that the channel's are out of phase when you do this? I don't know if there is any validity to this claim? But for what ever reason? The Amp sounded better one channel at a time?
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I don't think a 2204 will do it for ya, especially if you don't like DSL's, since those are actually more versatile.

If you're going for the Phish sound, go to the source. I'd suggest checking Ebay for Groove Tube amps, and since you have a Tele, go for the GT's with a 15" speaker, so it makes your singles sound huge and fat.
                      Fenders are clean....2204's are 80's rock. You should look at a bunch of amps from GT, Fargen, Mesa, Bogner, etc, and find something that you know you'll be happy with years from now.

I mostly suggested GT, because Trey's signature sound came from a GT Trio preamp/poweramp.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yeah I am going to look around at this used guitar shop this weekend her in cincinnati, they got some awesome stuff. The thing is, I liked the Tone I was getting of a JMP which I thought was virtually the same as the JCM800. I could be wrong on this. http://www.mikesmusicohio.com/ Check it out

Comment

The amps at mikes music looks cold, the old ones are usually the better ones I think.

But frankly speaking, will you get a Fender Super Twin reverb or a JCM900 100watt combo ?
                          Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                          Gibson 1959 reissue
                          Gibson 1960 reissue
                          Gibson EDS-1275

Comment

Working...
                          X