Stratdeluxer's Early Reviews About The "Plexitone" Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratdeluxer's Early Reviews About The "Plexitone" Pedal

Let me start by saying I Like this pedal alot and that RID and his company(Carl Martin)did a phenomenal job with this pedal..With that being said,here's some scoop about my experience with it so far...

Into my 73 50 watt NMV Marshall this pedal simply rocks! I've played through alot of Marshall wanna be pedals,but this one gets closer than anything else I've ever used(Even the modded Boss stuff)....In fairness to the modded pedals,they only have 1 great overall vibe.The Plexitone has boost,crunch,and drive and with more headroom and tightness because it runs on 12 volts...

I've used the pedal through my Marshall head into a V30 4x12 and my Valvetronix head into a V30 2x12 and got great results in both instances...The Vox amp was set to a nice BF Twin setting and used with the Plexitone..

My favorite settings on this pedal through both amps was to use the crunch setting and the gain around 3 o'clock or a bit less,the volume at about 9 o clock and the tone up the middle at noon through a clean amp setting...This allowed me to get the earlier Marshall Plexi tones we grew up listening to and still be able to dial back and clean up the tone a bit....This is alot easier to do with the strat and Tele and not the LP however...I Like the way the crunch tones are EQ'd but the higher gain settings are a bit too dark for my tastes to cut and grind like a Thin Lizzy tone...

Once I got the crunch tone dialed in,I then set the boost level for a slight overall volume boost,but you get added lows and balls for soloing upon activating the boost switch(Very cool for added beef in your lead tones and for soaring above a loud drummer)....I had feedback issues last night with my LP and these levels were challenging for me)...

The higher gain tones are cool for single note soloing,but I found the tone to be too dark once I got the tone dialed in for my crunch tones...The tone with the higher drive settings rubs up with Eric Johnson and Gary Moore's singing darker lead tones..Warm and smooth and with lots of sustain..

The crunch side of this pedal in my opinion is what this pedal is all about and this is where my favorite Marshall tones are found....I set this tone up without the boost function and then when I do hit the boost function,I now get the same crunch factor,but it's got alot more lows and is fuller and more powerful sounding...."Ballsy" is a great way to describe the boost switch....All of your early classic rock tones,i.e. Thin Lizzy,Bad CO,Free,Zeppelin,etc...are gotten with the crunch side of the pedal...Tight and focused..

The pedal has a s/n ratio of 68 and I didn't find it all that noisy!

The tone is tight and articulate always and isn't muddy sounding...I also feel like I'm playing into an actual tube amp and not through a pedal first because you get "feel" in the notes and touch sensitivity with this thing...Amazing!
    Volume down and you get the cleaner barely breaking Marshall blues tone going...Dial up the volume and now all of your gain and harmonics and sustain follow....

Great pedal....Nice job RID to you and CM! I'm keeping mine!

I Love the crunch and crunch/boost settings and I felt the pedal does a great overall job of emulating a highly cranked up Marshall....The Marshall JackHammer also does a great emulation of the same amp,but at a budget,but it doesn't have the boost function and the versatility,plus the high gain side of the JH doesn't compete with the Plexitone.

I just got mine but I was able to quickly dial up some great tone from my pedal and so far into just 2 of the many amps I own....

Stevo,RID,and Jeff B and other users,Does my review sum up your feelings about the pedal exactly?

Also,is microphonics a problem with your humbucking equipped guitars with the PT set for higher gain settings? It was for me last night?
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Stratdeluxer's Early Reviews About The "Plexitone" Pedal

I agree with your review John. I also feel that this pedal is great for live playing - the switches and crunch/gain/tone/boost/level adjustments make it very versatile when you go in to the front of an amp that is not already saturated.

I had some feedback issues with my Plexi RI until I tweaked it a bit. The plexitone seems to work well through input 2, the darker input. The plexitone was a bit bright and gainy when I used channel one, the brighter/hotter input.

One more nice thing about the plexitone is the way it makes my neck pickups come to life. I like the hollow tone without the mushy bottom end. It really brings out the dynamics in my jazz-n.

I have played this through my home made 12ax7/el34 amp also. It sounds nice through that amp too. I think I am liking the 2nd channel on the Marshall a bit more though.

I use greenback speakers and their mids bring out the nuances of this pedal nicely.

I'll bet that the plexitone sounds really nice through a jtm45.
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      Into my 73 50 watt NMV Marshall this pedal simply rocks! I've played through alot of Marshall wanna be pedals,but this one gets closer than anything else I've ever used(Even the modded Boss stuff)
      You are obviously very excited about this pedal.
      "PlexiTone + Marshall = Marshall Tone" that just sounds funny. :

Since you like it, I'm sure they start flyin' off the shelves....
      Last edited by Guitar Toad; 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM.
      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Seems like you got on a good first time around
        Well the real difference between crunch and highgain is the potmeter, 100ohm for the crunch and 1m for the highgain, it uses some quite special LED's that works extremely well for that sound it has.
        The highgain really gets the pedal going, but it is not insane saturation, anyways it is not 12v it is+-12v
        Meaning it is a double supply and it hits 24v.
        Well it is a +-15v to be exact.
        And unlike most other pedals it likes British styled amps the best, it is not working too well on a BF style Fender amp, due to the hole in the midrange on those amps.
        It likes big clean amps alot

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
          "PlexiTone + Marshall = Marshall Tone" that just sounds funny. :
          True The key point is that you don't have to level your house with outrageous volume to get close to that tone that we love from Marshalls on 11
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
            True The key point is that you don't have to level your house with outrageous volume to get close to that tone that we love from Marshalls on 11
            OOH, Great point. That's really good. Thanks for schooling me on that key point Stevo.
            Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
            -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Yeah--OOOOOH Yeah!

I found the sweet spot with my 71? Univox U1246B and 4x12 cab with the V30 G12H30 X pattern, though I'm thinking of putting the v30s on the bottom and G12s on the top slant cuz the V30s are a lot louder.

Yes John, there is a Santa Claus, and his name is Rid, LOL. I was actually selling the Univox on Ebay this week, then yanked it off after I put the Plexitone through it. Really, the only difference I had from you is that I max the volumes on the amp (jumped channels) and have the Plexitone's level set at around 8:00. Doing that the crunch is vintage Marshall and the high gain sounds so much like my 81 JCM800 did. I used my LP with a JB bridge and had a bit of a feedback problem if I stood too close to the amp, but five feet away and not facing the amp solved that. Believe it or not, my LP with the Ants and Gibson doubleneck with the Seth Lover bridge didn't feedback nearly as much as the JB. I guess because of the lower output?

I just had a surgical procedure done on my neck, but when I'm up and running I'm going to try my hand at posting some clips. That should be fun as I've never done that. Are you going to do some clips?
              My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
              or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
              http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
              700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                Stevo,RID,and Jeff B and other users,Does my review sum up your feelings about the pedal exactly?
                pretty much!

I haven't had the f'back issues...then again I have not had it really cranked.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Last night I had my Vox VT amp set for the highest 60/60 watt settings and it was pretty loud and I was only about maybe 3 to 4 feet in front of my head and the V30 2x12 closed back cab....In all fairness I should be getting feedback...I did get wicked singing,endless sustain that was totally inspiring when I was able to control the microphonics..LOL

RID...Thanks for the correct info on the voltage of the pedal...I need to spend alot more time with mine,but I'm already convinced about how great it is and I got it dialed in pretty quickly for practice last night...The crunch tone with boost is the ticket for me though....So far,until I explore the other possibilities....
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I now find that I Like the higher gain side of the Plexitone alot also,providing I dial the gain to more like 10-11 o'clock and dial the tone knob up higher than I do for the crunch settings...I then use the boost to take the tone over the top...

I'm having fun with the pedal and it's very cool indeed...

Comment

Sounds like a cool pedal. Since most of you guys are using this driving a clean amp, whats it like in front of a saturated amp, say just for juicing an already distorted Marshall etc.???
                      GUITARS
                      STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
                      AMPS
                      Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Well muddy
                        Especially because the plexi has a healthy bottom, all the time.
                        And I made it especially for clean amps, you could probally use the booster for a dirty amp, plenty of db's there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                          Well muddy
                          Especially because the plexi has a healthy bottom, all the time.
                          And I made it especially for clean amps, you could probally use the booster for a dirty amp, plenty of db's there.
                          It's great through the clean amp(s) and muddy it'll get for sure otherwise...

Comment

Working...
                          X