I'll be damned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be damned...

After reading what gearjoneser had to say about the small ss marshall he found so cheap(and has since sold) it got me thinking I should plug in mine again and see if I couldn't get a good sound from it- afterall they're from the same era. Just based on what I've learned about tone from this forum I ended up getting possibly the best non-tube sound I've ever heard! It sounded so thin and buzzy before but as soon as I backed off the gain, turned the master volume up to get the speaker moving, and put the mids way up it REALLY started sounding huge and totally had the classic rock marshall vibe goin. It doesn't have nearly as much gain as I'm used to but I stuck my boss os-2 in front of it set mostly to overdrive(about 9'oclock) with drive at about 12 o'clock tone at 10 o'clock and level at about 11 o'clock and it had what I would consider "just enough." You could pull a pinch harmonic for example but it wasn't effortless, and it had just barely enough to chug. It's also really responsive to picking... way more so than I would have expected.

Bottom-line: I'm REALLY glad I never got around to selling this amp cuz it was totally my fault it had never sounded good before. Everyone's going snowboarding/skiing tomorrow but me so I'm totally gonna make a few clips and add them to this thread.

I've really gotta thank you guys for teaching me so much. I basically knew nothing about good tone before coming here.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Re: I'll be damned...

Clips are up!

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Working...
    X