banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good pre amp tube for my Silver Dragon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good pre amp tube for my Silver Dragon?

Anyone else using this pedal? I think it's great! I can use it as a drive to make my Ecstasy's red channel sound like a raging Ubershall and as a good distortion for the times I have only acces to a SS amp. I love how it adds low end thump!

The problem is that the tubes I've tried in it are either too high gain or too low gain. The made in russia Sovtek 12ax7wb was really good but microphonic and added too much gain with the pedal's gain turned all the way down. Sounded phenomenal in distortion mode through a SS amp!

I also tried a made in china PM 12au7a/ecc82 because it's a low microphonic tube. It had way better control and a less mushy tone as a result but I lost almost all my low end! The pedal was also useless in Distortion mode now.

So I went back to the stock chinese and it's not bad at all, not microphonic, good low end and adds less gain than the sovtek with the gain turned down.
    It's just that the tone is not as alive as with the other two tubes.

So I was wondering if anyone knows some good pre amp tubes that will do what I'm looking for?
    I think need a high gain tube with not too much gain on tap.

Re: What's a good pre amp tube for my Silver Dragon?

The 12AX7C(9) are nice as are teh 12AX7-M (new). I like the C. Changing tubes in that pedal is a chore!

Comment

what's upppp haven't talked to you in a long time nightburst!!!
      boreddddddddddd

Comment

Originally posted by drpietrzak
        The 12AX7C(9) are nice as are teh 12AX7-M (new). I like the C. Changing tubes in that pedal is a chore!
        Thanks, what brand are those?
        Yeah the stock tube is kind of dull, it's not bad but not good either. I want something more exiting in there.

Originally posted by Chi3f
        what's upppp haven't talked to you in a long time nightburst!!!
        Hey, what's up? How's your amp treating you?
        Sorry I've been way too busy lately, work, school, girlfriend, family, band and everything else in life that takes up time.
        I ditched the track we were gonna do but I'm making a new one promise!
        Last edited by Nightburst; 12-12-2005, 09:59 AM.

Comment

12ax7c's are groove tubes, but there's also unmarked ones, their all chinese pre-amp tubes, its just that the gt ones I guess have more quality checking going into them.
          Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
          Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
          Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
          Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
          Fender Frontman 15g
          Cry Baby
          Boss DS-2
          Boss CE-3
          Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
            12ax7c's are groove tubes, but there's also unmarked ones, their all chinese pre-amp tubes, its just that the gt ones I guess have more quality checking going into them.
            Thanks, I'll try those if they have them around here.

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123

those are what i use in the pre amp of my dsl... i like em alot. were recomended to me by gearjoneser last year.
              boreddddddddddd

Comment

Thanks guys I got a Gold series Groove Tube (12ax7/ecc83) and it blows all the other tubes away! My pedal never sounded so good!
                This forum rocks!!!

Comment

A lot of people assume Groove Tubes are equal to most others, since they basically relabel other manufacturers tubes. The truth is that they have very high standards, and many of the tubes they test get thrown away or sold to someone else. They only stamp GT on the very best ones, which is why their preamp tubes are always really good.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                    A lot of people assume Groove Tubes are equal to most others, since they basically relabel other manufacturers tubes. The truth is that they have very high standards, and many of the tubes they test get thrown away or sold to someone else. They only stamp GT on the very best ones, which is why their preamp tubes are always really good.
                    very true, I just put a GT12AX7M into my Crate V1512 tube amps first slot and it sounded soooo much better, way lower noise, way less microphonics and tighter crunchier tone. I used to think that GT were basically overhyped but they are actually really nice.
                    Originally posted by ratherdashing
                    If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Working...
                    X