banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does a head than cab have better tone than combo amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does a head than cab have better tone than combo amps?

Hey iv herd over and over that people prefer a head than cab because you have better tone than if you get a combo amp (im talking about tubes only.) How much of this is true? and if it is why?

Re: Why does a head than cab have better tone than combo amps?

I'm not sure it's a true statement. Having them separate does help with the old back I've got. It also helps to isolate some of the sonic vibrations that combo amps subject the tubes to. So, they are less likely to develop a rattle.

But, I'm not sure there is any serious tone advantage to it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Better is subjective. The cab and speaker choice both play a big role in the tone so some might argue that having a head is better because it allows greater versatility in cab choice. BUT you can plug most combos into cabs as well so it's really just a matter of preference IMO.
      Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
      Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
      Marshall 1960a
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

If this were true, there wouldn't be nearly so many combo amps.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

tone is such a broad subject- it all depends on what sound you like=open back or closed cab- standing right in front of an open back cab sounds lots different than in front of a closed back- the closed back cab will project farther, and will not sound as good until you get a few feet away, after the speakers have a chance to 'couple' Thats why alot of guys can't hear their amp standing right in front of it- but move out about ten feet and it will be blasting and have a completely different tone.
          " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Placebo effect. They just "think" it's better because it costs more.

Comment

Then, you get into things such as 3/4 back cabinets which are intended to be in between the open back and closed back sound.

I think that what you're thinking about may be those people who have multiple-speaker cabs loaded with 2 or more different speakers. No question, it allows for more fine tuning of tone, but I don't think that it necessarily makes it a better option than a combo that sounds good.
              Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

A statement like that can be hard to back up. Look at how many Twin Reverbs and Deluxe Reverbs Fender made by comparison to the piggy back Bassman and bandmasters!

IF you are speaking in terms of Marshall Combos by comparison to a Head and Cabinet. Its simple a Marshall Combo has either one or 2 speakers (usually 12"). A Head is generally hooked up to a 4 12" cabinet. 4 12' speakers are moving a lot more air than 1 or 2 12" spekaers will. THerefore they will actually create the ilussion that they are much louder. The type of speakers also has a lot to do with the sound differences. A lot of people tend to favor the Vintage 30 speakers. This as others have stated is a personal choice. The same spekaers in a combo will not neccessarily sound the same in a cabinet, mainly because the cabints are larger and hold more speakers so the will sound a lot different. Then we get to the real meat and potaoes..... Most "working" musicians do not want to carry a 4 12" cabinet up two flights of stairs as well as all the other necessary gear, play a 3 set GIG and then have to break it all down and carry it all back down at 2:00 AM. This is the main reason why I prefer combos. It is a lot easier to move from place to place, and with a good PA you can get a real good sound out of them to the audience.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

More of a personal taste thing....

I personally like a head/cab set-up. Let's you move the head around to different cabs/speakers allowing different flavors & versatility.

Also, "most" combos are open back....some like a closed back...& the room you're playing in might like a closed or 3/4 back. Having different cabs for a head allows for different options.

That said, a good sounding combo is just as fine if it works for you...and you can always add an extension cab!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                  Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                  FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Alot of guys like myself like using a head so it can be used with different cabs such as a 4x12,2x12,4x10 and it's a very versatile setup....

On the other hand,I also love BF Fender amps and the ones I have are combos...Both setups are viable and it's a subjective topic for sure!
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
                      Also, "most" combos are open back....some like a closed back...& the room you're playing in might like a closed or 3/4 back. Having different cabs for a head allows for different options.
                      +1

Most open back cabs don't sound quite right with high gain tones.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                      My Music

Comment

I like using a head for much the same reasons as STRATDELUXER, being able to use it with different cabs. But also, I like them because the only way I can get the tone I like is with a closed back cab. When I'm playing at home I take my little practice amp with is open back and put the back against the wall. I prefer the kick of a closed back cab.

Comment

I think people often mix up the word "better" with the word "different"
                          I offer the VOX AC-30, The Fender Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, The Marshall Bluesbreaker, The Supro, The Champ, and any of several new botique combos.
                          Guitars- Melancon, Paul Reed Smith
                          Effects- Line 6, EMMA, Xotic, EB, Dunlop, Fulltone, Voodoo Labs, Analog Man, Boss
                          Amp- Fender
                          Originally posted by Skullkrusher
                          After comparing the 17inch and 15inch models side by side........I decided to go with the 15inch. The 17inch was nice, but I think it was a bit too big. Anyway........

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                            Alot of guys like myself like using a head so it can be used with different cabs such as a 4x12,2x12,4x10 and it's a very versatile setup....

On the other hand,I also love BF Fender amps and the ones I have are combos...Both setups are viable and it's a subjective topic for sure!
                            ya exactly.... I have many different heads and i can pick and choose between 3 cabs... a 4x12 and 2 different 1x12's.... The 4x12 i used a few times at outdoor shows and the 1x12's work great in bars or small halls

Even through i use combos these days for the pure ease of moving my amp around there is nothing like a nice stack.... Some small combos are getting better..... It's all about the low end for me.... The 4x12's kick out a lot of low end thump...

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
                              ya exactly.... I have many different heads and i can pick and choose between 3 cabs... a 4x12 and 2 different 1x12's.... The 4x12 i used a few times at outdoor shows and the 1x12's work great in bars or small halls

Even through i use combos these days for the pure ease of moving my amp around there is nothing like a nice stack.... Some small combos are getting better..... It's all about the low end for me.... The 4x12's kick out a lot of low end thump...
                              I Like being able to use the head with whatever cab moves me or for the size of the venue....If playing outdoors,I Like a 4x12....Inside,I Like 2x12 cabs..I prefer 12" speakers always though,for their round strong lowend tone..
                              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X