Recomend a small amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomend a small amp

I currently have a Mesa Dual Recto that I refuse to part with. I am however in dire need of something smaller for bedroom/small apartment playing. I love my Mesa and want something that will give me that sound. Help a brother out... make a suggestion.

Re: Recomend a small amp

Subway Rocket Reverb by Mesa if you can find one used. Great little amps.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Tube, SS or you don't mind? Modeling amps are good choices for nice tones in the bedroom.

I'd recommend the Roland Cube 30. Not sure if it it your cup of tea, but it has some cool high-gain modes. And at a very affordable price.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I recommend the Mesa Subway Rocket as well. I have the one without reverb and am very happy with it.

Comment

Oh, we are talking big bucks then...?

I shall pull back from this thread, then
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

While the subway rocket is a nice little amp, I would think it would be a bit much for apt. playing... Even an Old Fender Champ can get pretty loud for playing in your apt. If you can swing the cash, I'd check out the emery micro-baby. The clips for the emery amps sound amazing and it is only 2 watts for the micro. Check it out at http://www.emerysound.com/Microbaby.html
            I've been gassing for the superbaby for a long time.
            royd
            http://www.soundclick.com/alexisd
            "once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"
            David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Comment

Originally posted by ChileanGuy
              I'd recommend the Roland Cube 30. Not sure if it it your cup of tea, but it has some cool high-gain modes. And at a very affordable price.
              +1

It's a nifty high-gain amp at a great price. For pure home use (i.e., never playing with a drummer) the Cube 15 is a great choice, too.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

although I haven't played one, a tech 21 trademark 10 looks interesting, versatile and affordable
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                  although I haven't played one, a tech 21 trademark 10 looks interesting, versatile and affordable
                  I have one and like it a lot. Wish it had (1) footswitch control(s) of some kind, and (2) either the amp or I had better memory of settings when I find a "sweet spot". Gotta' learn to write them down...

For the cost, the TM-10 has some great mojo. Really nice practice amp IMHO.

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Subway rockets are nice, Budda Super Drive 18 is nice, Emery (sp?) makes a nice 8 watt amp. Amazingly I love the Fender Blues Jr. with Jensens (not a very metal amp), the Mesa Maverick can give you some distortion.
                    1973 Les Paul Standard
                    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I agree to the Fender blues jr. its a nice warm sounding amp for the room. If you can get hold of the antique princeton reverb, its another choice to reckon with
                      Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                      Gibson 1959 reissue
                      Gibson 1960 reissue
                      Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Another vote for a Cube 30. It even has a Dual Rectifier Model - Ha-Ha. And has a great low end. The Clean is great and takes very well to pedals. It has built in Effects, reveb/delay, chorus, tremolo, phaser, flanger if you must at home. 3 band EQ... Did i mention the good bass? And excellent models.
                        Yeah!

Comment

I was about to start a new thread asking this same question or similar, when I saw this post. Like everyone else these days, I thought a tube amp at 20 Watts would be nice until I saw some prices. I already have a few amps in this size range, and find that they are my faves. In snooping around I did see the Marshall AVT20 though, which has some good reviews, the price is closer to reality - esp if you shop used - and has a tube preamp ( but not power tubes ). I don't have one, so I can't offer judgement.
                          "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
                          -Michael Bloomfield

Comment

Originally posted by royd
                            While the subway rocket is a nice little amp, I would think it would be a bit much for apt. playing... Even an Old Fender Champ can get pretty loud for playing in your apt. If you can swing the cash, I'd check out the emery micro-baby. The clips for the emery amps sound amazing and it is only 2 watts for the micro. Check it out at http://www.emerysound.com/Microbaby.html
                            I've been gassing for the superbaby for a long time.
                            I have a beat up old '50's Fender 5W Champ, and it's more than loud enough at home. Ditto for its Victoria clone. The Fender Deluxe I saved from a dumpster ( 15W ) is enough to be heard over the the drums in our jam sessions, and can even be used in a small club, if you play blues or jazz. All of these are more than you should spend in that Wattage, just helping make a point.
                            "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
                            -Michael Bloomfield

Comment

The Vox AD30 is very cool with the attenuator on the back - 2 memory channels plus front panel = 3 channels, footswitchable too... I sold mine as I wanted to "simplify" my rig so I got a Crate V58 - oh my god, what nice tones! Can get too loud for home/apartment if it wants but all the time nice, round, full tube tone - tone you can feel when you are playing! New the Crate is under $300, think the Vox is around $250. If you want simple and great sound, go with the Crate; if you want flexibility and good sound, go with the Vox...

2 others "less-expensive" options:1) a MicroCube - damn nice for a tiny little package and battery powered to boot for $100 2) Orange Crush 10 - nice little amp, kinda clean to classic rock, little buzzy on high-gain but under $100 - selling mine since I got the Crate

Dano
                              EVH: "I'm a tone chaser... I love chasin' tone!"

Comment

Working...
                              X