banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how are those Celestion Century Vintage speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how are those Celestion Century Vintage speakers?

Anyone has/tried them?
    I'm gonna upgrade my cab some more, already have 2 Celestion Vintage 30ies but looking around I got interested in those Neodymium Celestions.
    They seem to promise all the tone with half the weight and with the same power (60W). Sounds almost too good to be true? Are they well suited for all types of music?
    How would 2 of them pair up with V30ies?
    Would it be even better if I sold the V30ies and got myself 4 Centuries?

Re: So how are those Celestion Century Vintage speakers?

Originally posted by Nightburst
    Anyone has/tried them?
    I'm gonna upgrade my cab some more, already have 2 Celestion Vintage 30ies but looking around I got interested in those Neodymium Celestions.
    They seem to promise all the tone with half the weight and with the same power (60W). Sounds almost too good to be true? Are they well suited for all types of music?
    How would 2 of them pair up with V30ies?
    Would it be even better if I sold the V30ies and got myself 4 Centuries?
    I sold my set of Neodyiums that were in my Vox cab....Too tight and too bright...The Vintage 30s blow these away in this same cab....Those speakers are also pretty pricey and I didn't see what all the hype was about? Stick with your mainstays...V30s,G12H-30s,25 watt Greenbacks,etc..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      I sold my set of Neodyiums that were in my Vox cab....Too tight and too bright...The Vintage 30s blow these away in this same cab....Those speakers are also pretty pricey and I didn't see what all the hype was about? Stick with your mainstays...V30s,G12H-30s,25 watt Greenbacks,etc..
      I saw them for about the same price as V30ies so it got me thinking, the reduced weight is also a big + but if they don't have the sound... Thanks for your input.

Comment

I saw them for about the same price as V30ies so it got me thinking, the reduced weight is also a big + but if they don't have the sound... Thanks for your input.
        Don't waste your money on them!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          Don't waste your money on them!
          LOL, are they that bad?

Comment

I don't like V30's much, but I like those even less...no fullness in the sound what so ever

Comment

LOL, are they that bad?
              Yep.....Way too bright,no mids,and the tone is too tight also...I didn't like them!

Comment

hEJ gUYS.. what about the G12 CENTURY !?
                Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

ive also heard the sound is lacking for the century line of speakers. i was told to steer clear by some of my friends, and to stick with the normal celestions.
                  [SIZE=1]Guitars:
                  Gibson 2001 Les Paul Classic Premium w/ SD JB/59N
                  Fender American Deluxe Strat (still stock SCNs)
                  Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
                  Marshall AVT 50(on the bay)
                  Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Comment

Originally posted by slash857
                    ive also heard the sound is lacking for the century line of speakers. i was told to steer clear by some of my friends, and to stick with the normal celestions.
                    Exactly right!

Comment

Looking at the numbers it looks like the Centurys are super effecient, probably making them louder than even the V30. This is actually what is not needed in most cases these days. That may mean that the club owner will shut you down with your amp turned up to 1 1/2 instead of 3. The lower effeciency of something like a greenback is actually what you want, so you can push your amp more. Now those Century speakers might be just what a bass amps needs.....

Comment

Interesting - this is what everyone tells me about both the Century and Century Vintage. For this reason I stayed with the 90 watt Mesa Speaker, and I must say I am pleased overall. By spec, these seem like high handling speakers, which always tend to be too sterile to me. I use the 90 watt Mesa because it seems to be creamy and actually breaks up, without falling apart in a 1x12 situation.
                        1973 Les Paul Standard
                        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Working...
                        X