Help w/new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/new amp

Yesterday I went to GC and traded that POS Marshall JCM 4212 towards a Vox AC30CC2. I've been wanting a Brit amp for a long time and since the Marshall turned out to be a lemon I figured I'd dump it while I could. At least now I know 1st hand why people bash on the channel switching JCM 800's - They Suck! Anyway, the AC30 is a nice amp, but I'm having a tough time dialing a tone that I like. I tried the suggested settings on the hang tag, but the overdrive/gain seems to be a little too fizzy/buzzy. Is the distortion on the AC30 supposed to be like that? Or is this amp a lemon too? Any info is appreciated. BTW, I'm trying to get a good classic rock crunch sound. The sound I'm getting now nails Mudhoney's tone, but I'm looking for an AC/DC or Rose Tattoo sound.

Re: Help w/new amp

your looking for AC/DC out of an AC30? kinda the wrong amp to be playing for that kind of tone...with the AC30, you should be looking for beatles, byrds, kinks, tom petty and the heartbreakers, lenny kravitz, etc...

Now with that said, I have that same amp. It's a killer amp but you do have to take some time with it. It took me about a week and a half to dial in my tone...here's a starting point though.

I put all of the knobs on 5 (halfway)...and start from there, I also switch it to the 22 watt setting on the back instead of 33 watts....and I use the custom setting on the top boost channel. I use both channels linked and then I start to dial from there. That's a good starting point for finding your tone I think.....advice for getting good crunch..turn down the master, crank the top boost channel, but don't crank the normal channel unless you have to.
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Re: Help w/new amp

Ok, bad example, maybe not AC/DC I meant to say that I'm looking for a good classic rock tone. Not too clean, not too dirty. I'd be really happy getting a tone that's close to Paul Wellers on The Jam's 1st album.

Comment

Working...
      X