banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 6V6 and 12AX7 tubes for my laney (high gain, in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 6V6 and 12AX7 tubes for my laney (high gain, in the UK)

I'm retubing my AOR which needs it BAD and well, I know absolutely nothing about tubes

I was first thinking about EH 6V6GTs and Sovteks 12AX7LPS but none are available on watfordvalves or hotrox... What good silent, high gain tubes would be easily available in the UK? Under 10 pounds for each valves each possible.

Also, how much does a rebias usually cost? About 40 or so pounds?

Re: What 6V6 and 12AX7 tubes for my laney (high gain, in the UK)

Pierre,
    I really like the JJ 6V6s. I'm using them in two amps right now. They sound great, full bottom end, are very sturdy, and very affordable.

I don't know how available they are for you, though.

I think the EH tubes have had reliability issues - some 6V6 amps, like a Deluxe Reverb, really push the specs on these tubes.

yes, the sovtek LPSs are good sounding 12AX7s - if they are hard to find, maybe you can look for JJ ECC83s or ECC803s, or other Euro tubes like EIs
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Yep I can get the 6V6s from hotrox... 22 pounds for two, that seems ok to me. They have the ECCC83 too which are 7 or so each, that's not bad for me!

How about the Sovtek 12AX7WC? They seem to be high gain oriented too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
        Yep I can get the 6V6s from hotrox... 22 pounds for two, that seems ok to me. They have the ECCC83 too which are 7 or so each, that's not bad for me!

I assume that the Sovtek WC is close to the LPS, although I don't really know.

for the price, I'd try both the JJ Ecc83 and Ecc803 ... I have a few 803s but haven't tried them yet. I've heard they are very smooth though.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

JJ 6V6 and 3 ECC803S You won't be disappointed
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

check out watfordvalves.com They're in the UK and look to be the dog's. Brian may and radiohead? Good inventory too. Check their reviews and ratings. I'd buy from them!

Yeah!

Comment

I think I'll go for JJ power tubes and Sovteks preamp. Thanks a bunch guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                Awesome tube, I tried it in my silver dragon but I got some feedback issues. Could be a lemon I got though. It has a lot of gain on tap and has a good bottom end.

Comment

Working...
                X