• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Experts: 50w Mark 2 Lead?

Originally posted by Rocker35
    How much is it up for Simon??
    I don't think that's been decided yet.

My drummer mentioned to me that his brother is thinking about selling it. I suspect it's not been used for a few years and is cluttering up the house! What do you think the head and cab are worth, assuming they're in good unmodded condition?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
      What do you think the head and cab are worth, assuming they're in good unmodded condition?
      What they are worth and what you'd be willing to pay are most likely two totally different amounts. If they are dead mint condition, unmodded, they can fetch a very high dollar. The chance of it being dead mint are pretty much nill though. Some on eBay are anywhere from $700 USD to over $2000 USD. The one for over $2K is hardly worth it considering it's condition though. The cab, those prices are all over the place. For them it boils down to the condition of the cab itself, not really what year it is.

Check them out to evaluate the condition, test it out to make sure she works well and then go from there. Ask when the last time it was retubed, and what is in it now.

Comment

You should get it if you can. 77 was the from the era of the low plate voltage 50's. The 50 watt models ran about 390-400 volts to the plates, so they had a warmer, creamier, softer response. However, if the filter caps are spent it may sound overly soft and flabby, and a lot of people just quit using them over time.

In such cases the amp can be restored to like new performance fairly easy, and you may be able to pick up the head rather cheap.

A 77 cab for a 50 watt head will probably have "black back" G12M25 speakers. Regardlees of the color of the speaker magnet they are most likely either 25watt or maybe 30 watt G12's (assuming it has the original speakers) eqivilant to early 70's "Greenbacks". If the (original) speakers and cab are in good shape, then the cab is worth a lot of money, perhaps twice that of the head. I know of a single 78 checker grill 4x12 cab with the 25 watt speakers that is priced at IIRC $1200. You can't replace the quality of the wood from that period, and reissue greenbacks don't sound as good as the original run of 25 watt speakers.

Just a guess but, the head and cab together could probably bring $1600+ on the open market if it's in good shape and has 25 watt or 30 watt Celestions.

These are great amps with serviced tubes and filter caps. They don't really come alive untill you get em nice and loud, despite the MV, but the tone is wonderful once you get em loud.

The four input (non master) JMP 50's are just about as good as the early metal panel amps sonically imo, if your lucky enough for it to be one of these.

There was an amp head called the "artist" from the 70's that was designed for cleans, and although it has reverb, it doesn't have a good reputation among Marshall fans.

Comment

I'm with LPBLues...grab the cab too if it's from the same period....those 25W celestions *the* Marshall speaker AFAIC...better than 20s, 75s, and V30s...they have that warm woody tone without the piercing high mids of the 30s, scooped mids of the 20s or "buzz" of the 75s (I still like the 75s better than 30s tho in general).

That rig..JMP (MV or NMV) will def be one of the best you can get for Marshall tone, IMO...I'm a bit of an oddball in that I prefer the later metalfaces and JMP sound over the plexi and late model 800 series/Jubilee sounds....they crunch and 'scream" moreso than a "plexi", yet are not as "harsh" as those later 800s and jubilees..it's Lizzy..Pat Travers..early priest..April Wine...Lovedrive era scorpions...etc....
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Oh, like I wasn't going to post here...

Yeah, I love the 50w MV heads. They are the rock.

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
              That's just what I didn't need to see!

Thanks everyone for your very informative posts. As I said, I had a 1980 JMP MV 2x12 combo for a few years - and it sounded great! I am so tempted to pursue this amp (and maybe cab too). Trouble is I already have my Jubilee 2553 + 2556B. It will be tough for me to justify keeping two Marshall rigs, and I don't want to part with the Jube.

Damn. I might arrange to go round and see it.....

Comment

And I always much preferred the look of the old Marshalls where the front panel didn't go all the way across.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
                  And I always much preferred the look of the old Marshalls where the front panel didn't go all the way across.
                  Hmm I think you are showing us a classic case of "partipulation" Simon.. "participating" in your own "manipulation"

I had a 79 JMP 2204 with that front panel didn't go all of the way across, like the JCM800s that came later. It was definitely a classic Marshall, to my ears anyway.. sorry, but I have to say this :6: .. it was great for Thin Lizzy tones!
                  https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention that I modified the amp to use EL34 power tubes. It was an easy modification. I got the parts from Torres Engineering for $20.

The EL34s made the amp sound a little less open and more compressed.
                    https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                      it was great for Thin Lizzy tones!
                      :fing25:

Originally posted by Stevo
                      Oh, I forgot to mention that I modified the amp to use EL34 power tubes. It was an easy modification. I got the parts from Torres Engineering for $20.

The EL34s made the amp sound a little less open and more compressed.
                      If it was originally sold here in the UK (which I'm sure it was) it almost certainly would have EL34s anyway. AFAIK the 6550s (?) were only in amps sold in America, but thanks for the tip!

Comment

I'm surprised it took TGB this long to post his amp eye candy...

Simon, you're correct. 6550's were in U.S. and Canada amps only. They're more rugged and survived the boat ride much better than EL34's at the time.

Comment

I just wanted to say NMV 50 watters have the sweetest EL34 tone. They record AMAZINGLY!
                          1973 Les Paul Standard
                          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                            I'm surprised it took TGB this long to post his amp eye candy...
                            me too...

Simon, you're correct. 6550's were in U.S. and Canada amps only. They're more rugged and survived the boat ride much better than EL34's at the time.
                            I think broken EL34s would sound better than NOS 6550s, personally
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Had a little unexpected windfall this morning. Reckon I might go and check this baby out.

Comment

oooooooooooooooohhhh, do tell !!!!

Get it...

Get It...

GET IT...

GET IT !!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                                X