Powerstage 200 - Headphone connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerstage 200 - Headphone connection

May be a silly question but just bought a Powerstage 200 and want to make sure i'm not risking any damage. I'll be using it for connection to a 8ohm speaker most of the time but if i want to run just headphones for silent playing, will the headphones act as a "speaker load" as such? Or would i need to run a speaker load to be safe?

I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770 16ohm Headphones i was thinking of using?

I don't think you need a speaker load with solid-state amps. I'm not even close to an amp tech though,,,,,so hopefully someone else can confirm it for you soon .

Comment

Thanks dave74...... that was also another consideration i needed to ask as well haha

Comment

Typically, if a device has a headphone jack to begin with, they've taken care of the internals needed to keep it from blowing up if you use that functionality. I think you're good to go.

Comment

Unless there is a specific warning in the manual, you don't have to hook anything up while using the headphones.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi. I had the same concerns as not all solid state amps can work without speaker load. It seems logical it would be designed to work without a load BUT there is a warning on the base of the amp that specifically sys otherwise!! The user manual also strongly suggests you should connect speakers. So, I emailed SD Support and got a very swift and helpful reply from Justin. Yes it is OK and also pointed out the headphone volume controls the XLR output as well. He also suggested turning the main volume down to avoid any interference. So, all good except for the lack of that info in the user manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike75 View Post
              Hi. I had the same concerns as not all solid state amps can work without speaker load. It seems logical it would be designed to work without a load BUT there is a warning on the base of the amp that specifically sys otherwise!! The user manual also strongly suggests you should connect speakers. So, I emailed SD Support and got a very swift and helpful reply from Justin. Yes it is OK and also pointed out the headphone volume controls the XLR output as well. He also suggested turning the main volume down to avoid any interference. So, all good except for the lack of that info in the user manual.
              Welcome to the forum, and thank you for this info!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X