My JCM900 should arrive today!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My JCM900 should arrive today!!

Hi, my JCM900 50 watt combo should arrive today. The moment i turn it on will be the first time i have even played or heard a tube amp up close.

I'll let you know how i get on and i might do some clips.
    Michael Kelly Patriot Black w/Rockfield Fat Ass set
    Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic
    Dunlop Jazz III and Ultex Picks

Re: My JCM900 should arrive today!!

Originally posted by SepultuRick
    Hi, my JCM900 50 watt combo should arrive today. The moment i turn it on will be the first time i have even played or heard a tube amp up close.

I'll let you know how i get on and i might do some clips.
    Don't forget this important piece of advice: TUBE AMPS NEED VOLUME to sound good. It won't sound very good at bedroom levels...buzzy...thin...
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!! Not at all a bad tube amp for your first one. Crank it up!!!
      It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

yah man
        LET US Hearsome unholy sondclips
        Thrash, Death metal all the way up.
        ****ING HAILS
        J.P
        GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW AMP.
        Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
        Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
        Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
        Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
        Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
        Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

damn, it never turned up today. It should turn up tomorrow though. I may be at work when it comes though meaning it will then go to my local post office but due to my work hours i may not be able to go get it til saturday!!! nevermind. I'll have it soon and i'll do some clips
          Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Also, leave it on Standby to let the tubes warm up for a few minutes. And do NOT touch those big caps hanging off. In other words take it to a tech for service if/when you ever need it.

And have fun. Spend time with it. In no time you'll have great tone, less than a 1/4 time that it takes to dial in good tone on a Mesa...LMAO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
              Also, leave it on Standby to let the tubes warm up for a few minutes. And do NOT touch those big caps hanging off. In other words take it to a tech for service if/when you ever need it.

And have fun. Spend time with it. In no time you'll have great tone, less than a 1/4 time that it takes to dial in good tone on a Mesa...LMAO!!!!
              I totally agree with you on that Erikh on that, all the new mesa's are so confusing, I have no clue where to start tweaking when I see all those knobs in the front and back panels.
              Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
              Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
              Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
              Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
              Fender Frontman 15g
              Cry Baby
              Boss DS-2
              Boss CE-3
              Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

ok it came!!, its second hand off ebay. It seems in good condition but the volume knobs crackle quite a bit when i move them. Can this be fixed?

the high or low output option on the rear of the amp is for changing the wattage i presume. The low output option more suitable for lower volumes? is this right?

also the impedence can be changed between 4 or 8 ohms. which should i have it on?

i am also unsure what the standby switch is about and also the 2 channel thing is confusing me a bit. Is the gain sensitivity knob just an extension of the preamp volume??

thanks for the help guys.
                Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Standby switch: When you turn the amp on, switch the POWER switch on FIRST while the STANDBY switch is OFF. Then after a few mins turn the STANDBY switch ON. Complete the procedure in reverse when turning it off. ie. Standby off for a few mins, then power off.
                  Danny Jenkins
                  Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
                  motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

Check erikh profile, it has a link to stuff about the amp. For the question the pots I would just get it checked out by tech to get it cleaned up and possible find any problems now before they get worse.
                    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                    Fender Frontman 15g
                    Cry Baby
                    Boss DS-2
                    Boss CE-3
                    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

To answer the questions not answered on my page (cause half are..lol).

Set the impedence to whatever the speaker is rated at. It can be set to 4(16) or 8. The 4(16) setting is for either 4 ohm or 16 ohm loads.

Hmm, the others have been answered already. If we don't see ya for a few days we'll know why...LOL LOL.

Comment

I just found out off the guy i bought my jcm900 amp from that the tubes are the originals that were in it from 1992!!!!!!!! this means they need changing right?
                        Last edited by SepultuRick; 12-16-2005, 02:47 PM.
                        Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Absolutely they need to be replaced. SED's and JJ's are very nice power tubes. Good pre's for Marshall's are the new Tung Sol reissue, Chinese, EH's. E-mail or call dougstubes.com or revolutionguitar.com. Both great guys to deal with and will help with selection.

Comment

Originally posted by SepultuRick
                            I just found out off the guy i bought my jcm900 amp from that the tubes are the originals that were in it from 1992!!!!!!!! this means they need changing right?
                            Oh yeah. Preamp tubes last longer than power amp tubes but to get it to really sound the way it should, new tubes throughout will be worth it. It's like changing the oil in a used car you get from someone. You'll know what's in it and how long it's been since the last change.

Comment

great so i need new pickups, new tubes, amp serviced, guitar set up properly for new string gauge and err oh yeah maybe a new overdrive pedal if i need to push my amp at all!!!!!!!
                              Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Working...
                              X