The Donnas - Which amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Donnas - Which amps?

Anyone know what amps Allison Robertson from The Donnas is using for amps? She gets an amazing heavy marshall sound live and on record. I would love to get a sound like that. Any ideas?
    teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Re: The Donnas - Which amps?

I can't say for sure but i thought she was a 5150 user...

Comment

Allison is a HUGE Marshall fan and most of the early stuff was Marshall, but I'm not sure which exact model. Spend the Night was pretty much all Marshall DSL though. The new one, Gold Medal, was basically Marshall DSL and a few Fenders.

Her live setup has remained fairly similar over the past few years too. All Marshall DSL, although I see she recently brought out a TSL too. Also in use is a Fender Vibrolux. When they started touring behind Gold Medal, Allison did have a pedalboard but she soon got rid of it. She's traditionally never used pedals until they recorded Gold Medal.

MJ
      EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

DSL 100 watter, no fx........LP+Marshall=Pure R&R!!!!
        '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Wow, I must say I'm surprised to say the least. Those tones don't sound like the DSL I know. I was expecting cranked Super Leads or 45s.
          Last edited by twoheadedboy; 12-15-2005, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Here are her settings:

Presence:4.5
            Treb: 4
            Mid:5.5
            Bass:7

channel B
            vol: 4.5
            gain: 6.5

channel A
            vol: 6
            gain: 7

MJ

Comment

I remember reading an interview with her a while ago and she said that she was using several Les Pauls and Marshall DSL heads and 4x12 cabs.

She also said that whenever she's not using her own amp and has to borrow 1, she uses a BOSS Metal Zone because it gives her 'That Marshall type sound'

Craig

Comment

I read in a Guitar Player magazine interview with her that on the "Gold Medal" LP she used an SG Classic (yes, P90s) through Marshall DSL100s and Fender Vibroluxes. She's no stomp box user either... she's a straight in kind of gal.
                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Yup JCM 2000 DSL 100w. i've seen the Donnas more times than i remeber LOL and every time i get right up in front of Allison!! the only pedal she uses all the time is a Boss TU-2 floor tuner.

and here just b/c this pic rocks!

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

The switch to a P90 equipped guitar was a new move that she did for Gold Metal..before she was all les paul, all the time
                    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I think the interview mentioned she used to use Les Pauls, too. She's definitely got a great bare bones rock and roll tone.

Great pic, Mike... she's yummy. Their drummer is pretty cute, too. I'd be a male groupie for that band any day
                      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Maybe i'll have to go out and play some DSLs. I like her tone better than mine.

Comment

But now, she only brings out the SG for the Gold Medal songs. Otherwise she's back to the Les Paul

MJ

Comment

Working...
                          X