NOSCD Times Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOSCD Times Three

I picked up three 4x12's this week for a song. The first is a Kustom 4x12 with Celestion 65's for $50. The second was a Crate 4x12 in new condition and even has it's store tags which I traded a Crate 212GFX for. It has horrible Crate speakers though. Today I picked up a Marshall 4x12 with Celestion 35's for only $100. The Marshall will stay and at least one of the other two will go.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-08-2020, 12:48 PM.

damn man, youre on a roll! is it a 1960av or a different marshall cab?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      damn man, youre on a roll! is it a 1960av or a different marshall cab?
      It's the newer smaller 4x12 that you find with Valvetates and newer Marshall's. I believe it's a Marshall 8412? I will post some pictures after cleaning it up.

Comment

Depending upon how solid the Crate cab is, you may want to just swap the speakers with the smaller Marshall cab.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Depending upon how solid the Crate cab is, you may want to just swap the speakers with the smaller Marshall cab.

The Crate is a straight cab with metal grill. The Marshall is a slant top cab. The Marshall has 2x35w Celestion G12L speakers in the top and 2x65w Celestion 16 ohm speakers in the bottom and I have the same setup in the Kustom slant top. I basically took two from each cab and swapped. By wiring the two types of speakers in series and then combining them in parallel at the jack they are 8/9 ohms on my meter because the 16 ohm speakers actually read closer to 13 ohms. I suspect the Crate cab may sound better than the Kustom cab but I still need to test it. I also bought two Electro Harmonix 75w Creamback clones from Muisician's friend so I will see how I like them.

Comment

Are they ply or MDF? Ply tends to be a bit more durable.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Are they ply or MDF? Ply tends to be a bit more durable.

All three are MDF I believe.

Comment

Ok, just wondering.

Comment

I lined the back and sides of the Marshall cab yesterday with 1/8in felt flooring underlayment and that really brought out the chunk by attenuating the high-frequency standing waves in the cab. It still sounds resonant but without the high-frequency hash or sounding constipated like when removing the air gap in the cab.

Comment

Working...
                  X