banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are built in "low power" modes on amps ever any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did. It makes sense.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I had an old Carvin for years that had a 25/50/100 switch. It wasn't much quieter at 25 watts than 100. It just broke up quicker and wasn't as tight on the bottom.
      My Picovalve is more bedroom friendly at 2 watts than 5. 5 can keep up with a disciplined drummer. I think that it is based on triode/pentode operation.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

There are exceptions. Like the Fender Prosonic where the low wattage setting was a tube rec Class A and had a very different feel from the full power SS rec setting. However I do find with most amps the low power setting lacks something in tone.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Peaj View Post
          Great answers, thanks everyone.

TBH my JCM2000 DSL 100 sounds good to my ears at low volume without attenuation. It repeatedly wins out as the best option through much experimentation.
          thats because the dsl is just flat out an amazing amp!

Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

My Marshall TSL has a vpr switch which drops the volume considerably. But it really doesn't affect overall tone very much at all. If I am just jamming or learning something new, I use the button and don't change any settings.
            now if I have the thing really ripping past half volume, you can hear a tiny bit of tonal change with the switch engaged or not. But it certainly doesn't suck tone or anything like that.

Here's what I've learned about the VPR switching:

The VPR switch on the TSL amps acts like an internally fixed PPIMV (Post Phase Inverter Master Volume) when engaged. This limits the grid drive to the power valves, which allows you to drive the phase inverter harder without the high volume. With this switch, you get more phase inverter overdrive, while the power valves run the same as they do normally, just with a limited grid drive signal.

Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
              My Marshall TSL has a vpr switch which drops the volume considerably. But it really doesn't affect overall tone very much at all. If I am just jamming or learning something new, I use the button and don't change any settings.
              now if I have the thing really ripping past half volume, you can hear a tiny bit of tonal change with the switch engaged or not. But it certainly doesn't suck tone or anything like that.

Here's what I've learned about the VPR switching:

The VPR switch on the TSL amps acts like an internally fixed PPIMV (Post Phase Inverter Master Volume) when engaged. This limits the grid drive to the power valves, which allows you to drive the phase inverter harder without the high volume. With this switch, you get more phase inverter overdrive, while the power valves run the same as they do normally, just with a limited grid drive signal.

That makes sense. I think the PI tube gets way too little discussion. Most of what I used to think was the sound of my power tubes when the amp is cranked actually turned out to be coming from the PI tube. Took me a lot of swapping around tubes and testing to figure that out. :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have an '88 Marshall Jubilee 2555 with a pentode / triode switch and a Mini Jubilee 2525H with its 20w/5w switch. IMO the triode setting on the 2555 sounds like muddy crap and I never use it. The volume difference between 100w & 50w is barely noticeable, so the only reason to use triode would be the difference in feel. The 2525H OTOH runs the power tubes in pentode in both modes, but drops plate voltage for 5w output. Of course 20w sounds better, but the volume drop at 5w is great for playing at home at the expense of a bit less low end.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                X