How do you clean tweed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you clean tweed?

My Pro Jr. is Tweed covered (very cool!)

It has got kind of dusty on top though, over the past couple years. I brushed off the dust, but it still look "dirty"

How does one "refresh" potentially dirty Tweed covering? Amp is easily 15 years old.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Have you tried scrubbing with soap & water? Something like Woolite might be where I'd start.

If that doesn't work, maybe a spray-on upholstery cleaner would do the trick.

Barring that, a wet-vacuum type upholstery/carpet cleaning machine would be the option of last resprt.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Low tack tape could remove more of the dirt without having to get it wet also.

Comment

I picked up a really dusty and dirty Tweed Classic 20 Combo. I was able to brush some off, but eventually used water-based, unscented, baby wipes to remove the heavier stuff.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Yeah - trying to avoid "Wet Tweed"

I have some Clorox wipes though...

Comment

I would use a tiny bit of Simple Green and a soft bristle brush. Then maybe use a thin coat of Armor All so the dust just slides off in the future.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Rechecked my thread on the Peavey Forum. No Clorox wipes! Water-based baby wipes. They work great because they're also absorbent. Carpet stain cleaning secret also. There were some stubborn stains where I used a Home Depot HDX (comparable to a Mr. Clean Magic) Eraser and plain water. Pics available here:
              Last edited by JamesPaul; 11-14-2020, 02:51 PM.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

What ever you do
                do not put it in the back of your truck and roll through a drive thru car wash

The shammy won't clean the bottom
                You'll have to lay it on its side

You can use a leaf blower

Damp microfiber towels
                Elbow grease
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Where's my forehead smack emoji? Oh yeah, there it is.

Comment

If you have an air compressor, blow it off with that. If the dirt is just imbedded and not "stained" you can use a toothbrush and the air compressor and get most of it that way. Whatever is left should lift off by dabbing it with tape (like you get lint off clothes). If some elbow grease is needed with light moisture, water is best on a proper rag. Be careful with wipes....some are a great alternative, others like clorox could have chemicals that could damage your tweed.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I was thinking stiff bristle toothbrush.

Armor all is a good tip...this amp sits a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Armor all is a good tip...this amp sits a lot.
                        Armor All has a lot of oil in it I would think it would stain the tweed.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Armor All has a lot of oil in it I would think it would stain the tweed.
                          Nah, it doesn't. It has silicone in it, and you don't goop it on.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pressure washer

Comment

I thought that tweed stuff was lacquered to be easy to clean?
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X