No announcement yet.

NAD - Fender 65 Princeton Reverb FSR Tweed 12"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their wine red covering was really nice too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tsdjwspkqib3te0fkflu.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	6030449
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love that 4-5 spot on the reverbrever

Also old 6v6 sure sound good even when you're not overdriven but they're getting hard to find for a good price and I've had ones "test great" but sound like dying tubes.
      ​​​​​​
      so on my next Princeton I plan to skip old stock power tubes

also yeah Weber speakers are great I've owned two greenback types and played the 12f150 in a hot rod deluxe and they all had a strong clear voice that I like.
      ​​​​

​​​Don't tell my bugera I was thinking about your Princeton while I was playing today. She'd flip out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Their wine red covering was really nice too.

Name:	tsdjwspkqib3te0fkflu.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	6030449
        I really liked the plain wood version.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have to admit, this looks amazing.

Name:	Fender_FSR_Knotty_Pine_Princeton_01_800x.jpg?v=1576028228.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	6030491

Comment

That one and the one that you posted are my favorites.

The other cool thing about the uncovered one is that it allows you to easily cover it with whatever material you want. I think it would look awesome in blonde tolex with the wheat colored grill and black/white faceplate that it already has.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-18-2020, 07:51 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I don't think I could cover that bare wood...it looks too nice. That should be a standard model.

Comment

I don't think I could cover that bare wood...it looks too nice. That should be a standard model.
                Yeah, I kinda think the whole point of the uncovered cab is to have a natural wood finish look. Fender has put out a few of these kinds of things. They had one that was finished in sunburst and another in paisley I think. Pretty sure these models are meant to be more as living room showpieces than used for gigs. The finish would get destroyed pretty quickly moving it around.
                -
                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

yep. i have a cab thats just lacquered pine and it shows wear easily, its pretty and sound great though

Comment

I have a pair of 60's blackface Princeton Reverbs that I replaced the baffles in so I could use a 12" speaker instead of the 10. I put a Celestion G12 Alnico Silver Frame in each. They're absolutely killer! Of course I still have the original 10" speaker baffles so someday when I die they can be restored to stock again. But those 12's are staying in there for the rest of MY life.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                      I have a pair of 60's blackface Princeton Reverbs that I replaced the baffles in so I could use a 12" speaker instead of the 10. I put a Celestion G12 Alnico Silver Frame in each. They're absolutely killer! Of course I still have the original 10" speaker baffles so someday when I die they can be restored to stock again. But those 12's are staying in there for the rest of MY life.
                      How would you explain the difference between the 10" & 12"? How would you compare those 12" Princeton to a Deluxe?

Comment

Ah, my dream amp :o

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Happy NAD,

Sounds like you got a winner there.

I picked up a second-hand 65prri earlier this year and I'm really happy with it.

I bet it's even pretty light still with the 12" cone. Well may it wear.

Comment

How would you explain the difference between the 10" & 12"? How would you compare those 12" Princeton to a Deluxe?
                            My Deluxe Reverb also has a silver G12 alnico Celestion so it has the same speaker as my Princetons. The Deluxe Reverb is louder and stays cleaner at louder volumes. It has a larger output transformer and that's one reason.

Before I put the 12" speaker in my Princeton Reverbs they each had the original 10" speaker from the 1960's. To me it was not a quality speaker and I think of it as being a student or beginner's speaker.

Sounded very small and didn't move much air.

I have an old '66 Jensen C10N and tried that and the tone was improved but it still sounded small.

When I started experimenting with 12's the sound got a lot bigger and fuller and more "professional".

More of everything: louder, more headroom, fuller, deeper...all of that.

When I sit in at a club I bring my Princeton with a 60's silver alnico G12 Celestion. I've had guys tell me it's too loud. lol. They would never have said that when it had a 10 in it.
                            Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-20-2020, 09:38 AM.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

When I sit in at a club I bring my Princeton with a 60's silver alnico G12 Celestion. I've had guys tell me it's too loud. lol. They would never have said that when it had a 10 in it.
                              Judging by the volume my PRRI puts out I'd say there's no way I could just crank it up in a band situation without being told to turn down. It's the same with my 5E3 - Only gig I was ever able to crank it up was a very large outdoor stage.

What you said about the PR with a 10 sounding small - I agree. That's why I've never liked any of them. They've just sounded boxy and lacked any sort of fullness to their tone. With the 12 it's the opposite. Big and full. It's still not as room filling as my cabs with multiple speakers, but it's pretty good.
                              -
                              My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

My Deluxe Reverb also has a silver G12 alnico Celestion so it has the same speaker as my Princetons. The Deluxe Reverb is louder and stays cleaner at louder volumes. It has a larger output transformer and that's one reason.

Before I put the 12" speaker in my Princeton Reverbs they each had the original 10" speaker from the 1960's. To me it was not a quality speaker and I think of it as being a student or beginner's speaker.

Sounded very small and didn't move much air.

I have an old '66 Jensen C10N and tried that and the tone was improved but it still sounded small.

When I started experimenting with 12's the sound got a lot bigger and fuller and more "professional".

More of everything: louder, more headroom, fuller, deeper...all of that.

Interesting. I was always curious about this, but I never tried a Deluxe next to a 12"-converted Princeton. Honestly, I am great with my Tone Master Deluxe these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X