Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D#$$# it may have smoked the Archon head!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • D#$$# it may have smoked the Archon head!

    Walked in the music room last night to play a little flip the amp to standby and let it warn then on and --nothing? Start checking everything and the plastic input jack on the Blackstar cab had come apart and dead shorted !! Replaced the jack but now the tubes light but the amp is stone cold dead so bet the dead shorted output fried the $%$# transformer. Locked down with COVID this has been the week from HELL and now this just DAMN!! Pulled out the old Carvin X 50 head as the MT 15 is at my Church and had forgotten just how much of a wicked 80's/90's metal tone machine this old X amp was. It's just classic modded Marshall style metal tonal NIRVANA! Now I have to deal with the carnage with the Archon. !!
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-20-2020, 06:27 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

  • #2
    Are you 100% sure the tranny is fried?

    Comment


    • #3
      Chinese build quality?
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

      Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Are you 100% sure the tranny is fried?
        Not yet but tubes are lit and nothing. The amp was idling fir a few after I fired it up before I hit it with the guitar volume down and it was just dead. Started checking connections and the jack just fell into the cab when I checked it as the nut had backed off the jack it likely was shorting. Got t all back together and now have nothing. Pulled out the old Carvin and plugged it in to check the cab and it works so--. My thoughts are it run with a dead short on the output for about 10 minuets. Had strung a guitar and plugged it in to stretch the strings and let them set before I locked the nut but got called away before I fired it up. The perfect storm and got some thing for sure.
        Last edited by Ascension; 11-20-2020, 04:03 PM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Chinese build quality?
          The MT 15 is the China amp the Archon is US.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

          Comment


          • #6
            10 minutes? That's definitely long enough to do some damage.

            Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              run the effects send out to headphones or something

              see if you are getting signal from the amp

              plug directly into the return and see if anything comes out


              in the electrical world its called loop test
              divide the circuit in half
              check each half
              then repeat til you find the bad component

              could have a blown speaker
              Last edited by ehdwuld; 11-20-2020, 04:17 PM.
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ascension View Post

                The MT 15 is the China amp the Archon is US.
                Modern American build quality? :P
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

                Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ascension View Post

                  Not yet but tubes are lit and nothing. The amp was idling fir a few after I fired it up before I hit it with the guitar volume down and it was just dead. Started checking connections and the jack just fell into the cab when I checked it as the nut had backed off the jack it likely was shorting. Got t all back together and now have nothing. Pulled out the old Carvin and plugged it in to check the cab and it works so--. My thoughts are it run with a dead short on the output for about 10 minuets. Had strung a guitar and plugged it in to stretch the strings and let them set before I locked the nut but got called away before I fired it up. The perfect storm and got some thing for sure.
                  Was the cab in standby while idling? I’m assuming it has a standby (my Blackstar HT-20 doesn’t)
                  I would think in standby there shouldn’t be any way to fry the tranny?
                  And you checked both fuses? If you have power the mains fuse is still working but possibly the other one blew out?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Are there fuses you can check?
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The op said his Carvin head worked through the cab.
                      10 minutes of signal going to short through the tranny.

                      Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

                        Was the cab in standby while idling? I’m assuming it has a standby (my Blackstar HT-20 doesn’t)
                        I would think in standby there shouldn’t be any way to fry the tranny?
                        And you checked both fuses? If you have power the mains fuse is still working but possibly the other one blew out?
                        Amp was running I got a call right as i was firing the amp up to seat a set of strings before locking the nut. came back from the call and rolled the volume up and nothing. Started checking connections and when I checked the input into the cab the jack fell into the cab. The nut had backed off the jack and it was likely shorting the input after the plug had backed out. Had no reason to suspect any problem as haven't had that cab out in many months was just a freak thing. Was a plastic jack and nut that came in the cab patched it back together for now and ordered a high end all metal real jack this afternoon off ebay as this will NOT happen again. Cab works fine now but the amp has no output at all. Good idea pulling off the loop to see if the Pre is working. Tubes are lit but nothing no hiss nothing. Will get at it tomorrow and see if I can diagnose it further. Wife has COVID and have been stuck in the house for over a week so this was NOT what I needed to deal with right now.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 11-20-2020, 10:02 PM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Stay safe and prayers for your wife

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Couple of quick notes:

                            1. The natural state of an input jack is "shorted" when nothing is plugged into it. That's done on purpose so that you don't "float" an amp input when nothing is plugged in. Now, if it fell inside and landed against some high voltage component, that could be different.

                            2. Having the output tranny shorted, if there's no signal, also won't hurt anything. There would have to have been a signal going through it, while shorted, to damage the transformer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Couple of quick notes:

                              1. The natural state of an input jack is "shorted" when nothing is plugged into it. That's done on purpose so that you don't "float" an amp input when nothing is plugged in. Now, if it fell inside and landed against some high voltage component, that could be different.

                              2. Having the output tranny shorted, if there's no signal, also won't hurt anything. There would have to have been a signal going through it, while shorted, to damage the transformer.
                              Know that on the input to the amp. This was the input to the cab where the jack failed so likely the amp saw a dead short to the output of the power amp section. Freak thing the plastic nut on the factory jack backed off and the jack fell into the cab when i started checking connections while the nut stayed with the plug from the speaker cable. Afterwards the amp was stone dead in output. Never had a reason to suspect an issue with the cab as this one has not been out of the house or unplugged in over a year it has stayed in my music room. Have a couple of these coming to replace the jack this will NEVER happen again! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-Pure-T....c100290.m3507 Now I have to deal with the damage to the Archon though. Still have both the DC 5 and the Carvin heads plus the MT 15 at Church and a couple combos so have other rigs to play but!
                              Last edited by Ascension; 11-21-2020, 07:22 AM.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X