WGS Veteran 30 Speaker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WGS Veteran 30 Speaker...

I've heard a few WGS 12's and liked them. The Veteran 30 is supposed to be like a Celestion Vintage 30 but without the midrange spike that some find annoying. To me, that spike it softened when the Vintage 30 is used in a sealed 4 x 12 Marshall cabinet.

Anyways, I have a nice open back 2 x 12 cab that's empty and I'd like to put some speakers in it. My other 2 x 12 cab has Celestion G12 Alnicos in it so that sound is covered.

I like Celestion G12H30's best when it comes to ceramic magnet Celestions. I know I like them better than Greenvacks.

So: does anyone own the WGS Veteran 30's and have enough experience with them to comment?
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

I had one in a 4x12 a few years back, it was the loudest and sweetest speaker in the whole cabinet. I really liked the tone.
    I would call it bright, without being harsh, or fizzy at all.
    True it does not have the mid spike like the v30.

I would have zero reservations sticking a veteran in any cabinet, they sound great.
    I would consider pairing it with a darker speaker like a t75 or even a k100 but that's just me.

Its a sweet speaker for sure.
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I have one in my new 1x12 cab
      i have it in a mini open back stack for my Bugera G5

the other speaker is a Eminence Jet City OEM

I like the how it responds in the open back stack paired with the Eminence

it isnt woofy or spikey at all

I also like the EHX version of the V30

I have one of those as well
      its real middy
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        I've heard a few WGS 12's and liked them. The Veteran 30 is supposed to be like a Celestion Vintage 30 but without the midrange spike that some find annoying. To me, that spike it softened when the Vintage 30 is used in a sealed 4 x 12 Marshall cabinet.

Anyways, I have a nice open back 2 x 12 cab that's empty and I'd like to put some speakers in it. My other 2 x 12 cab has Celestion G12 Alnicos in it so that sound is covered.

I like Celestion G12H30's best when it comes to ceramic magnet Celestions. I know I like them better than Greenvacks.

So: does anyone own the WGS Veteran 30's and have enough experience with them to comment?
        Had a couple. I prefer the WGS Retro 30 to the Veteran 30 in particular in an open back cab. To me the Vin 30 is pretty dark and kinda lifeless the Retro has more mid and top and I prefer the Retro to say a Vintage 30 in a open back cab by a mile as its much smoother in the highs and mids but still has cut.
        This is my little 25 watt Zinky Blue Velvet combo on my Blackstar 1/12 both loaded with WGS Retro 30's out doors and unmiced. The WGS retro 30 in an open back cab is one of my all time favorite rock speakers.
        PS also have a couple H 30's and prefer the Retros in an open back cab to them.

Last edited by Ascension; 11-21-2020, 02:51 PM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Had a couple. I prefer the WGS Retro 30 to the Veteran 30 in particular in an open back cab. To me the Vin 30 is pretty dark and kinda lifeless the Retro has more mid and top and I prefer the Retro to say a Vintage 30 in a open back cab by a mile as its much smoother in the highs and mids but still has cut.
          This is my little 25 watt Zinky Blue Velvet combo on my Blackstar 1/12 both loaded with WGS Retro 30's out doors and unmiced. The WGS retro 30 in an open back cab is one o Brent mason. f my all time favorite rock speakers.
          PS also have a couple H 30's and prefer the Retros in an open back cab to them.
          Thanks. Kinda hard to get much from that video unfortunately. I've been listening to a lot of country lately and in particular Brent Mason. From what I gather he had Celestion Vintage 30's in his 60's Bassman cabinet but according to his buddy Brian Wampler, the pedal guy, Brent switched to WGS Veteran 30's and has them in the 2 x 12 Bassman cabinet. In this gear demo Brent keeps referring to them as WGS Vintage 30's but he means Veteran 30's I believe. I like Celestion G12H30's myself. And Celestion G12 Alnicos, either blue frames or silver frames. At about the 3 minute mark Brent starts talking speakers and I think we're hearing the Veteran 30's. Sure sound good to me. I love this guy's sound.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-21-2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Here is a demo from WGS with both speakers. I like both and a lot will depend on you ear what amp and what cab. My ear likes the mid response of the Retro in particular with high gain in most cases.

Last edited by Ascension; 11-21-2020, 08:26 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

PS I have a G12 H 30 and a WGS C12 C loose I am thinking about selling if your interested. Will likely drop a set of 75's in my 2/12 oversized Fender close back cab. I ran 75's for years in my 4/12 cabs and I miss having that tone. Have a pair of Retros in that cab now and to my ear they just aren't working in that particular cab. The C12C in particular is a great speaker for nice American cleans and lighter break up stuff. I had it in my Zinky for a while but likely go back to a Retro in that amp to better match the monster high gain tones that amp pumps out. https://wgsusa.com/g12c
              Last edited by Ascension; 11-21-2020, 08:42 PM.
              Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                PS I have a G12 H 30 and a WGS C12 C loose I am thinking about selling if your interested. Will likely drop a set of 75's in my 2/12 oversized Fender close back cab. I ran 75's for years in my 4/12 cabs and I miss having that tone. Have a pair of Retros in that cab now and to my ear they just aren't working in that particular cab. The C12C in particular is a great speaker for nice American cleans and lighter break up stuff. I had it in my Zinky for a while but likely go back to a Retro in that amp to better match the monster high gain tones that amp pumps out. https://wgsusa.com/g12c
                I have an 8 ohm G12H30 speaker. Is your G12H30 8 ohm? That would give me two which is what I need to fill my VHT cabinet.

Comment

I have an 8 ohm G12H30 speaker. Is your G12H30 8 ohm? That would give me two which is what I need to fill my VHT cabinet.
                  Unfortunately 16 ohms. Like the speaker but it's a gamble running it with what I'm pushing it with as even my MT 15 is really close to 30 watts in reality. Know I'm going to smoke it eventually so pulled in in the Tweeker cab it came in for a 75. May wind up grabbing another one for my Fender cab as the cab is on the dark side would be great speaker for that cab and 2 or them would be a 60 watt cab.
                  Guitars

Comment

Thanks. Kinda hard to get much from that video unfortunately.
                    This might help some the MT 15 pushing the Retro 30 on some cleaner jazzy stuff with my Xotic compressor.

Guitars

Comment

Little Country feel same rig Retro 30

Guitars

Comment

Same rig Red channel nothing but verb in the the loop pushing the Retro 30

Guitars

Comment

Thanks for all the clips. I can't really make out the guitar tone from everything else that's going on though. But thanks! I think I'm going to order just one Veteran 30 and pair it with my G12H30 in the 2 x 12 cab I have. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks for all the clips. I can't really make out the guitar tone from everything else that's going on though. But thanks! I think I'm going to order just one Veteran 30 and pair it with my G12H30 in the 2 x 12 cab I have. Thanks again.
                            That may be a good set up as the Vet will have the bottom and the H the top. Want to hear some clips.
                            Guitars

Comment

I have one paired with an ET-65 in a 2x12 cab. Once it (they) broke in they sounded really nice. The V30 isn’t harsh at all. And the 65 is about as smooth and creamy as it gets.

Comment

Working...
                              X