"Can I apply a coupon to that?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Can I apply a coupon to that?"

Looking at a Zoom G11, called MF, asked "can I apply a coupon".

He said "sure, I know this is eligible for a 15%". I asked how much will it be? And he said "roughly $515".

So he goes away and I hear clicking. Hes saying stuff like "I just have to add this manually.." I'm making small talk. I get out my credit card.

Then literally ten minutes later, he comes back and says "this is already on sale, I can't apply the coupon". I was a bit angry, he wasted ten minutes of my day and got my hopes up. The item is already on 25% discount. I'm on the fence and need an excuse to buy it, so I'm looking for a deal.

I just hung up, but part of me felt like I should have escalated. Just wasn't worth the headache. What is current day policy? If someone says they can apply a coupon and they reneg, is that something you can run to a manager and get an override?

ive been able to get coupons applied to excluded items by calling no problem, but usually once something is already discounted/on sale, coupons don't apply. it's possible if you raised a big enough stink they could've discounted it more, but possibly not. i guess it depends on what mood whatever supervisor you spoke to was in.
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Virtually every coupon specifies somewhere in the fine print that it isn't valid on discounted sale items.
      The computer system almost certainly disallowed it.

I imagine the reason you had to hold so long was because the salesperson was trying to have a manager override it for you.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Another way to get a 'deal' is just see if they can throw some other stuff you need in with it, to the tune of that 15% coupon value.

Comment

Once he agreed to that 15% discount you were entitled to it. You should have asked for a supervisor.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            Once he agreed to that 15% discount you were entitled to it. You should have asked for a supervisor.
            Listen to this man. He has the goldtop to prove he knows what he's talking about.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

MF and GC have new systems recently that prevent a lot of things. You can kick and moan until the cows come home but it will do nothing. At MF and GC, if an item is discounted, that is the price. If you are buying a used item that has been permanently marked down (after 90 days) you may be able to save a small amount additional but doubtful. You can't stack coupons, etc. The only way of getting a bigger discount is on a price match from another advertised place. If you can present that, you are golden and it only takes them 2 minutes to sort out. That is the only way now (sadly). It doesn't even matter if the price match causes them to lose money, they will gladly do it instantly. Asking to say 3 bucks on that 59 Les Paul limited run for $10K isn't happening though...lol. It is a system lock, not personal.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                MF and GC have new systems recently that prevent a lot of things. You can kick and moan until the cows come home but it will do nothing. At MF and GC, if an item is discounted, that is the price. If you are buying a used item that has been permanently marked down (after 90 days) you may be able to save a small amount additional but doubtful. You can't stack coupons, etc. The only way of getting a bigger discount is on a price match from another advertised place. If you can present that, you are golden and it only takes them 2 minutes to sort out. That is the only way now (sadly). It doesn't even matter if the price match causes them to lose money, they will gladly do it instantly. Asking to say 3 bucks on that 59 Les Paul limited run for $10K isn't happening though...lol. It is a system lock, not personal.
                Thanks for this. It keeps me from feeling like I gave up on $85 in additional savings. It was a long shot anyway, the item was already discounted.

It sounded like he was trying to apply the discount, and that he overpromised what he could do. I didn't want to be a dick so I just hung up instead of trying to bully him into giving me the savings.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Listen to this man. He has the goldtop to prove he knows what he's talking about.
                  Is that he one he got very cheap and raised ethical issues among forum members? I remember that from one or two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                    MF and GC have new systems recently that prevent a lot of things. You can kick and moan until the cows come home but it will do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

Is that he one he got very cheap and raised ethical issues among forum members? I remember that from one or two years ago.
                      One member had an issue with it. I also got my B.C. Rich Mockingbird and JBL Studio Monitors on the cheap because they were priced or displayed wrong. If the rep said he could apply the discount then he should have applied the discount.

Comment

Ok....lol. Knock yourself out.
                        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

One member had an issue with it. I also got my B.C. Rich Mockingbird and JBL Studio Monitors on the cheap because they were priced or displayed wrong. If the rep said he could apply the discount then he should have applied the discount.
                          I haven't worked in retail for many years now, but it's as true in B2B that just because a rep agrees to something doesn't mean it's correct or at all doable.

To the OP, it sucks that he couldn't honour the discount on top of the sale price. Sounds like he tried to fix it though, and probably felt silly telling you it could be done and then realizing he was wrong. At the very least, it was a lesson for an employee and hopefully they will remember it!

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Priced or displayed wrong is a totally different story and I am sure that happened longer ago than last week when this system change was made. It sounds like the rep tried making it right die to how long he placed the customer on hold. To get anything done on a call "price change wise" that is not on a price match with provable link etc requires a regional manager's approval now. Corporate has handcuffed these guys so bad it isn't even funny. You used to get points buying used items and now that has gone away. They dropped the % a point at GC on buying new items. You can't use points any longer on used items, only new items. A lot has changed and it is the restructuring of the bankruptcy deal and them trying to get a handle on things. I don't expect they can go on long like this but it is very different from what it used to be just a week or so ago, let alone months or years ago. Heck, I remember the good old days of it being like the Wild Wild West and you could go in guns blazing and negotiate the heck out of things and they had the power to do it. early to mid 2000's were great for that.

Comment

Well imagine if you wasted hours trying to squeeze another discount without success

What if you had to go to court and plead your case About how you really wanted another 15 percent

EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X