Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Much easier to trace a PCB.

Would you rather own a car with P2P wiring? Of course not. Why would amps be different? Do you think the space shuttle used P2P wiring?

Not going to argue this further. You like what you like.
    Worked on and with both PCB and PTP amps. I greatly prefer trouble shooting PTP to a PCB amp. Mass produced PCB amps many times use thin boards that deteriorate over time from heat and many also use ribbon cable connectors that fail. True PTP wont fail in those areas and is far as easier to trace a problem on as you don't have burned traces on a board or a bunch of unreliable cable connections to deal with with PTP. As long as the connections with a PTP amp are properly soldered they aren't going anywhere. The only real advantage with PCB over PTP is manufacturing costs. It's cheaper to build PCB because of the labor involved in hand wiring a PTP and that is why most amps today are PCB amps.
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-15-2021, 12:22 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
      I hafta be honest the PRS Archon & others are pretty nicely built but for the money id rather have something else.
      Hey can understand that. It's all about what works for you. My thing is the PRS amps get little respect and deserve more as they are really well built rigs!
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Well, because PCB is an industrial appliance, and P2P is handbuilt

1) paying for work by hand is kinda...
        2) people often suck, robots are more consistent
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          Well, because PCB is an industrial appliance, and P2P is handbuilt

1) paying for work by hand is kinda...
          2) people often suck, robots are more consistent
          Because "machines" are free and never make mistakes right? Who programmed the machines?
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

There are probably two things that are underappreciated about P2P amp builds. One is the time spent building it and the second is the serviceability. There is no arguing that it takes longer to build a P2P amp. It, therefore, costs more. I'm not going to even try and guess how long most of these amp manufacturers think that their amp will live for? I build my amps to last a lifetime and look like a million bucks doing it.

There is what I would call an in-between of the two extremes though. Dr. Z, Phaez, and even Morgan amps are all hand-built P2P amps, but they are not built to what I would consider a high degree of quality. The components are as good as you can get, it's not that, it's that they put it together with little regard to aesthetic perfection. They all find, borrow, or re-develop a classic design and in some cases truly individual and unique designs and then simply build it with modest attention to detail. You could say that they are better than most, but far from perfection. I commend Dr. Z and Morgan for making the amps they do at the price they do; so not being built to Matchless or Komet levels of build quality is excusable. truly amazing amps, built to meet a price point that is attainable. As much as we all love a Diezel, Revv, or even a Two Rock, they are all PCB-based amps.... they will not last a lifetime, I would put a Dr. Z up against a Two Rock any day to last beyond 50 years. None of these guys are rolling the component leads to make them straight and using solid core wire bent to perfect angles.....

Let's just say that there are builders that are neurotic to another degree. A Sampson era Matchless is an example. Ken Fisher, Bob Gjika, Alex Dumble are other examples. they are the forefathers to the " Boutique " amp era we know of it as today. Between them, among others, a pretty good precedent was set. It isn't just making a great sounding amp, there is a level of care in the layout, lead dress, and physical appearance. These individuals and companies take great care and time building an amp to be the actual best it can be. Rolling the component leads to make them straight and smooth, solid core wire bent to perfection and spending the time to create a layout that creates the shortest and most direct runs as possible, while giving great care to make the lead dress as clean as possible. These amps WILL last a lifetime and perhaps beyond. Not because they are easy to service ( they aren't ), but because the design overall is better, and the owner of it will also be that much more attentive to the amp's needs. The expense and quality of the amps call to a more astute owner who will love and care for the amp.

There are amps built P2P simply to tap into the market of those who desire that type of amp but can't necessarily afford a Matchless. These are the in-betweens, they are not built to the highest degree and are not built to be here 60 years from now. They are built to appeal to a market and exploit it. It isn't hard to make a good sounding amp, it is hard to make one that is original enough to not be a copy and be affordable to the masses, I.E. Profitable. There are a few standouts that make great amps that meet a level of affordability and will last a lifetime, Unfortunately, there are only a handful of companies that truly try and make affordable lifetime amps. The trick is simplicity. I recently designed an amp that has a BOM of less than 70 parts including the chassis and knobs!!! It is not easy to come up with an original design in a part count that small. I spent over a year doing it and am still not 100% happy with it. I want more than you can expect that number of parts to achieve. Not stopping me from trying though. My goal is to be able to sell this amp for around $1,500. I can tell you right now that trying to do so with Matchless levels of build quality is a stretch. For that to be profitable for me, I have to be able to build a whole amp in one day. This includes the shell, which at the moment is also meant to be a piece of art and not able to be built by me in a day at the moment. i have some work to do on the build speed and how I can make a truly amazing shell in a period of time and expense that is profitable. I don't want to make $4,000 amps, I want to make amps that people will buy to play. I want an affordable amp, that is punching well above its weight. Some companies are selling you amps that the sum of all parts costs less than 30% of what you pay.

P2P is the best hands down. PCB is affordable, that's about it. Neither is better than the other from a functional standpoint. One is more profitable ( PCB ) and the other can be used as a selling point. Serviceability is what makes an amp last a lifetime and P2P is more servicable. If you buy amps to keep, then P2P is the only way. If you buy amps to fill a need, then PCB does it just fine and dandy.

Comment

It's obviously well put together & while I haven't played one myself (checked out the MT15 which was great) it's always sounded pretty sweet in demos.

This is based on some weird personal prejudice maybe, but I actually like that though it's obviously solidly built, it's put together in a less "anal" (function over form) way than some of the other names mentioned. There's something about clinically/anally/ocd laid out amps that makes me uncomfortable. The Nazi's for instance were huge stickler's for detail. Haha....maybe a little overkill there, but yeah..def not my thing. I'll take messy but dependable over "visually breath-taking" all day long.
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
              X