if so how?

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

theyve been making v30s in china for years, maybe like 15 years ago if memory serves. there are at least a few versions on the v30. mesa had one version, marshall had another

Comment

There are A TON of different V30 versions from Celestion. I have read that within the same model, they also vary tonally from year to year of production. Nolly Getwood supposedly has that experience.

And yes, the Mesa Boogie V30 is different. It is warmer and fatter than the stock V30 with more low mids.

AFAIK, the different versions from Celestion I can think of are the following:

Stock Chinese V30.
      Mesa voiced V30.
      Marshall Vintage.
      Marshall Dave Mustaine sig speaker.
      Bad Cat voiced V30.
      Blackstar voiced V30.
      Relic 30.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some.

Also keep in mind that 16 ohm speakers usually sound brighter than 8 ohm versions of the same speaker.

Comment

so if I want the stock Chinese V30 I have to sound like the Mesa version

Can I just spray paint the cone black

by thickening the cone material it changes the way it moves
        and this should darken it a bit and make it more Mesa Like
        EHD

Comment

I doubted the different versions but I heard some Youtube clips and I could hear the differences. I’m not sure if I care if I only have one (I only have Mesa).
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            so if I want the stock Chinese V30 I have to sound like the Mesa version

Can I just spray paint the cone black

by thickening the cone material it changes the way it moves
            and this should darken it a bit and make it more Mesa Like
            I guess? I wouldn't do that, personally. I doubt you'll get it to sound *just* like it. "The Mesa is warmer and fatter" is almost oversimplifying it. The mids are voiced different. The high-end is voiced differently, and so are the lows. You would probably lose some efficiency as well.

Honestly, the Chinese version doesn't sound half-bad. You just have to dial the amp in differently.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-06-2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Eminence CV-75 is what you are looking for.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                theyve been making v30s in china for years, maybe like 15 years ago if memory serves. there are at least a few versions on the v30. mesa had one version, marshall had another
                They moved production over in 2002 . . . so almost 20 years now.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You might want to check out the Avatar Hellatone 60 - https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/spea.../hellatone-60/

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    You might want to check out the Avatar Hellatone 60 - https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/spea.../hellatone-60/
                    its weird how they can get the $145 V30
                    then Break it in
                    and Charge $115 for it
                    Weirrrrdd

when you could just pay more and break it in yourself

anyways I have a Chinese V30
                    I watched a YouTube video with a German guy talking to the Jensen Speaker guy
                    and they were talking about all the stuff that went into making speakers and
                    and one was the thickness of the cone material
                    and how you could change the Mid structure by thickening the material
                    or size of the Voice coil

and I was looking at the Mesa V30s and they seem to be a deeper shade of black than the stock Chinese
                    I was thinking they probably hit them with flat black paint when painting the cabs and that may be the difference in
                    the Mesa V30 and Stock V30

just wondering if anyone knew what the spec difference was
                    EHD

Comment

then Break it in
                      and Charge $115 for it
                      Weirrrrdd
                      They probably charge less because it's "used" after they break it in.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The difference is in the cone and the doping, the mesa cone has much much more doping if you compare them. Exactly specs I dont know but it was a big thing when it happened. If you go back far enough all the V30's were the same. It was basically a modern version of the old G12H30 speaker. But the original cones werent available so they used the next closest which required the extra doping. After some time Celestion changed the spec to save some cost in production, Mesa had a deal with Celestion and when they tried to swap the speakers on them Mesa refused them and Celestion agreed to honor their deal they would make the original spec V30 for them. I know all this happened long before the move to china. If memory serves this occured in 98 or so but i could be wrong on that.

Not sure I would want to paint the cone of the speaker, If you dont get the results you want your kinda SOL.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I guess now i have to research what "doping the cone " is
                          sounds like adding lhin layers of plyable material to it
                          But i will have to look it up

Thanks
                          EHD

Comment

then Break it in
                            and Charge $115 for it
                            Weirrrrdd

when you could just pay more and break it in yourself

anyways I have a Chinese V30
                            I watched a YouTube video with a German guy talking to the Jensen Speaker guy
                            and they were talking about all the stuff that went into making speakers and
                            and one was the thickness of the cone material
                            and how you could change the Mid structure by thickening the material
                            or size of the Voice coil

and I was looking at the Mesa V30s and they seem to be a deeper shade of black than the stock Chinese
                            I was thinking they probably hit them with flat black paint when painting the cabs and that may be the difference in
                            the Mesa V30 and Stock V30

That is a fantastic video. Kristian Kohle has some other videos on speakers that are great as well. The Jensen guy dropped a lot of great information.
                            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

That is a fantastic video. Kristian Kohle has some other videos on speakers that are great as well. The Jensen guy dropped a lot of great information.
                              It was fascinating. Agreed 100%.

Comment

Working...
                              X