Ampeg Guitar Tube Amp from the 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    there was a 2x8 amp with reverb and chorus and a 12ax7 maybe there was a bigger version? i you wanna dig through all these, have at it

https://ampeg.com/support/files/Disc...ser%20Manuals/
    These are not showing up for me now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
      I find it odd to have chorus built-in with a Tube amp? Not a very common thing especially in the '80s. The SS140c, VH140c is about all I can find.
      Neither of those are tube amps. More likely the amp the OP is thinking of isnt a tube amp but possibly has a tube gain stage in the preamp.

side note unless it isnt obvious but in Ampeg nomenclature anything that ends in C has chorus.

I have a Ampeg VL503, its a monster its 3 channels all tube. But is 1x12 not 2x10 and there is no chorus.
      Last edited by Edgecrusher; 04-13-2021, 04:11 AM.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

the ax44c was a 2x10 amp with a preamp tube, reverb and stereo chorus but was 2x8". dunno. ive never seen a real tube amp with chorus, only ss and hybrids

Comment

The chorus in those Ampegs sounded great, but the ones I tried were all SS. The VT series was the only one with tubes, I think But I don't recall seeing any of those with chorus.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            The chorus in those Ampegs sounded great, but the ones I tried were all SS. The VT series was the only one with tubes, I think But I don't recall seeing any of those with chorus.
            The VH140C and its rebranded counterpart the Crate GX130C have been highly sought after in the metal world for a long time. Sadly in those circles the chorus is vastly underappreciated.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Neither of those are tube amps. More likely the amp the OP is thinking of isnt a tube amp but possibly has a tube gain stage in the preamp.

side note unless it isnt obvious but in Ampeg nomenclature anything that ends in C has chorus.

I have a Ampeg VL503, its a monster its 3 channels all tube. But is 1x12 not 2x10 and there is no chorus.
              Tube in the gain stage preamp sounds right. Another thing maybe this amp did have 2×8 instead of 2×10. Been so long, but I could've swore it was 10s... But I am finding nothing with 2×10 with reverb and chorus, and tube.

Comment

Working...
              X